Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1441 - 1460 of 1483 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Front end has been lowered about 1.5" since that picture. Original interior, except the carpets. white top.

482 cu.in., stroked, 100% aluminum, Sideoiler. Shelby block with the double cross bolted main bearings, siamized cylinders etc. Scat crank and rods with half the bearing speed of the original, (bulletproof), Bear Motors Heads (a must!), Edelbrock intake, steel headers, aluminum water pump, radiator etc.

5 and 6 clutch plate C6 with bands 1/2" wider, and a gear vendors gear splitter (glorified overdrive).

Modern disc brakes in the front.

And it's a convertible.

That's a 7-Liter emblem on the front. Not a 7-Liter, but after 500,000 miles in sideoiler 427 medium riser 7-Liter Galaxies, any 427 Galaxie I drive is an official 7-Liter. It's the original paint and it's seen 170 in a real 7-Liter.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've driven 427 Galaxies for decades, everywhere I go. 1 barrel, 2 barrel, steel crank, supercobrajet crank, huge cam, normal cam, high compression, normal compression. Had a spray bar to spray water on the radiator if stopped too long at a streetlight and two gas systems with racing gas on one. Dozens of different 427 engine combinations. Might have more miles in a 427 Galaxie than anyone on the planet.

Here's a drag race with a dump truck. This a a normal original sideoiler with Edelbrock heads a couple years ago. The aluminum monster in there now, with extra 56 cubic inches and vastly superior Bear Motors heads has a lot more torque and power, not to mention hundreds of pounds off the nose. It runs very smooth at 1200 rpm in top gear, and is still lighting up, gaining power at 6200 rpm, which is as high as I've taken it. Good to 7500 rpm, but I want this one to last.

This is 1080p...

http://quantumad.com/Go/Galaxie.mp4

Front end has been lowered about 1.5" since that picture. Original interior, except the carpets. white top.

482 cu.in., stroked, 100% aluminum, Sideoiler. Shelby block with the double cross bolted main bearings, siamized cylinders etc. Scat crank and rods with half the bearing speed of the original, (bulletproof), Bear Motors Heads (a must!), Edelbrock intake, steel headers, aluminum water pump, radiator etc.

5 and 6 clutch plate C6 with bands 1/2" wider, and a gear vendors gear splitter (glorified overdrive).

Modern disc brakes in the front.

And it's a convertible.

That's a 7-Liter emblem on the front. Not a 7-Liter, but after 500,000 miles in sideoiler 427 medium riser 7-Liter Galaxies, any 427 Galaxie I drive is an official 7-Liter. It's the original paint and it's seen 170 in a real 7-Liter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I wore it out. Had a 7-Liter fastback and 66 LTD too. But this was my baby. It never lost a race at high speed. Couldn't lose, back then it wasn't possible. Now any lounge lizard can walk in with 80 grand and get a fast car with traction control.

Sideoiler, usually with the Cobrajet crank for the 454 cu.in. Always with the Medium Riser heads and dual 4 barrel Medium Riser intake. Lots of cam, lots of compression. Had a tank in the trunk with racing gas and a separate fuel system that met right before the carbs. Also the dual 4 barrel setup had a vacuum line between the secondary vacuum diaphragms on the carbs, which I tapped off of. So, the procedure was if a turbo porsche pulled in behind me on an entrance ramp, irritated the old Ford was in it's way, I'd hit the racing gas, and disable the vacuum secondaries with enough throttle to clear the bad gas, but not detonate, which took a few seconds, then when the good gas hit, step on the gas, open the secondaries and give the road roach a good look at those beautiful Galaxie tail lights disappearing in the distance. The good old days when you had to have dirty fingernails to have a fast car.

I've driven 427 Galaxies for decades, everywhere I go. 1 barrel, 2 barrel, steel crank, supercobrajet crank, huge cam, normal cam, high compression, normal compression. Had a spray bar to spray water on the radiator if stopped too long at a streetlight and two gas systems with racing gas on one. Dozens of different 427 engine combinations. Might have more miles in a 427 Galaxie than anyone on the planet.

Here's a drag race with a dump truck. This a a normal original sideoiler with Edelbrock heads a couple years ago. The aluminum monster in there now, with extra 56 cubic inches and vastly superior Bear Motors heads has a lot more torque and power, not to mention hundreds of pounds off the nose. It runs very smooth at 1200 rpm in top gear, and is still lighting up, gaining power at 6200 rpm, which is as high as I've taken it. Good to 7500 rpm, but I want this one to last.

This is 1080p...

http://quantumad.com/Go/Galaxie.mp4

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
67 galaxie 500 with just over 63,000 older lady from a small town bought it new and only drove it back and forth to work ect.

289 with built heads, weiand street warrior intake, edelbrock 600 carb, Mallory coil, points conversion.

I kept all of the original parts, but lost interest in the 289 for this big of a car.

My paint guy had a 429 with c6 from a 73 country squire wagon for $550 so I swooped that up real quick.

Now looking for early mustang that is a good roller for my 289 and c4 for the wife

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Three years into my project and nearing the end, hopefully. The interior is done, new convertible top is done and mechanically it's done with the exception of the exhaust. Once I rebuild my savings account I can deal with some bodywork issues such as rust, dings, etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey folks here is my new project, My 1965 Galaxie Sedan, I plan on re-doing the suspension, patch the floors, line-exing the interior floor completely, having its 1969 Mach 1 Mustang-transplanted 351w gone through and re-gasketed , new weatherstripping and TONS of small misc. parts replaced. Its a Manual brakes, Manual windows car. Originally a 289 3 on the tree car. It came with ridiculous 20" wheels But i found a killer set of 14" steelies that set it off! Thanks for looking!

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bought my 65 a couple of weeks ago, drove it home last saturday and drove it to work all week since the weather was decent.

Been a while since I used photobucket but let's see if I get this right-

Not mint but not too far from it. 74,815 miles when I bought it and from the look it is a cared for survivor with little but a repaint and maintenance done.
It's been mostly a garage queen for the last 20 years or so, mostly just doing car shows, I am told.
That is changing!

Everything is running smoother than I had expected after this week- even the 4 wheel drum brakes are pulling evenly now.
4 wheel discs will be happening- leaning towards Wilwood.
289 with a 2 bbl and while it is no powerhouse it is doing ok so far, and I like the handling advantage of the lighter engine. A manifold and 4bbl may be in the future..
I think something around 300hp should do fine without breaking the bank for parts or fuel, and shouldn't be too tough to get to.

Right now I am just thrilled with the car and loving having a lack of computer crap in the car. :D

·
Registered
750 Posts
Congrats !

if you're near the west metro, and looking for something to do with your new ride. We hang out Tuesdays-Thursdays at various locales. There's a couple/few Gals, plus many other makes & models.

Your Gal will know how to get there all by itself, btw... ;)

Have fun ! Norm

my new ride

1441 - 1460 of 1483 Posts