Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing Beeler's problems of late, I guess I am not the only one with problems. I have a big list so how about posting your top 3 problems. Here's mine-

Air bag line broke twice (second time did $500 of fender damage since I was making a turn at the time), Used braided steel the third time

replaced 352 with 390, created 20 additional problems

Tranny- replaced converter when running 352, Later put in new engine- doesn't shift properly, replaced converter with higher stall speed, not built right, send back to fix, re-install, tranny leak, and still not shifting properly

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fakesnake on 8/8/06 9:38am ]</font>

·
Registered
830 Posts
1) the body shop !!!! ok, getting the body work done
2) I had a starter problem that drove me nuts!!! Turned out the
rebuilds were sandblasted to thin . I installed a shim and it
has been fine.
3) did I mention the body shop?
watch I just jinxed my self!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sleepysal on 8/8/06 10:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
1. Body and paint shops
2. Upholstery shops
3. Just finding engine parts at a reasonable price
4. Finding parts that fit and are quality
I could go on and on. And I own a shop that works on 50s, 60s and 70s cars.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
1. Experts ... that aren't.

2. Headers ... that are supposedly perfect fits, that aren't.

3. anything electrical or ignition related that isn't factory original. No matter how simple it "should" be. Usually, its too short, too long or or too weak.

4. Backorders ... invariably, if they ever send it after the first week. Its the wrong item, its some leftover shop worn POS that I wouldn't give to the dog to play with.

5. Time tables that everyone agrees to, but they don't even start on until you threaten bodily harm. Then you have to figure out how to re-do the damn job yourself anyway.

6. Young guys working on old cars that won't take advice, until after they screw something up, also Old guys the "used to do things this way"... it was wrong then, its wrong now and it will be wrong in the future.

7. Me for not learning a lesson and doing it myself in the first place.

·
Registered
981 Posts
No. 1 and by far and away BODY WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Try finding anyone to do it within a decade is next to impossible. Long story there.

No.2 would have to be front coils. I'm on my 3rd new set, this time from Eaton Detroit so hopefully this is my last.

No.3 Acid dipping! If it is not 100 percent out, it comes right back through the metal, so really this goes back to no.1 Other than that, the only real stand out 3rd would be finding parts, thank you now to eBay, making it an international swap meet.

However,

The good still out weighs the bad. My engine was expensive but built pro and quick, as well as the tranny and rear. Upholstery was also too quick, pricey but again quick. Also, trim and misc parts from all over N. America. I've met alot of nice people leading me to all kinds of cool places. They were all pumped to see me complete the car. Sometimes the cost is well worth it!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I guess I kinda hate to be inspiration for this type of post but it is what it is!

1. Motor - Building a Scat FE stroker and having the engine builder told by Edelbrock that the RPM heads have around 100# springs only to find out after she ate 1/4" out of 2 lifters and took out 1/2 of cam lobes that the springs measure at 130#. Result - add roller lifters, cam, and rockers. Should have done it to begin with.

2. Add Cruis-o stall converter. Builder neglects to tell us that there was some variance between years so it would be a good idea to mic the thickness. Converter rubs on pump and fills pan full of metal shavings. Result - Car still moves with the cruis-o but a C-6 is sitting in the shop ready to install.

3. The latest debackle! Frying the wiring and then trying to find out what to do. Result - Order Painless Performance universal muscle car wiring harness.

I have to add #4. It really ticked me off at the time but I have gotten about 1/2 over it.

4. Paint and body. Estimate $4400.00, unforeseen rust $7200.00 and I have to buy the panels. More unforseen rust 10,900.00. 6 months after I get back I notice solvent pops and some cracking body work around the edges of the roof where it meets the rear fender and trunk. Says he'll take care of it. Come back 2 days later and he pats me on the back and says don't worry about the cracks...I clear coated over them so they won't rust and mixed up some touch up paint and dabbed it on top of the clear coat so the solvent pops aren't as noticible. Tells me that roof cracks are caused by flex point of body and that he can't do anything about it. Result - Took to another paint shop that called me when they started fixing the cracks to show me that he hadn't cleaned all the seam sealer out on one side and had cracked the lead on the other. Repainted and cracks fixed with no problems to this day. He was a person that I used to snowmobile with 6 or more times a year is and no longer a friend and unless there was a grizzly bear chewing his arm and a wolf on his leg I would not stop to help him if he was stranded while snowmobiling. Granted...my stop would be to show the dumb ass bear and wolf where his jugular was.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 8/9/06 12:38am ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: gbeeler on 8/9/06 12:41am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Credit cards

Credit Cards

Time

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Hehehe! Wow! Is some one in the dog house? I have to say my wife is 100% supportive of my hobbies even though she doesn't care for the car one way or another, or the Harley, or the snowmobile...come to think of it she doesn't care for any of my hobbies. Wow, and she still keeps me around. Guess I got lucky.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Major problems:

1) Cr*ppy bodywork done at body and paint shop,

2) Sh*tty paintwork done at body and paint shop,

3) "Don't care, pay me" attitude by cr*ppy, sh*tty proprietor of cr*ppy, sh*tty body and paint shop

and, finally,

4) Trying very, very hard not to blow the cr*ppy, sh*tty body and paint shop off the face of the earth by accidentally dropping a lit cigarette into the unsealed cans of solvents and reducers and thinners and paint.

·
Registered
303 Posts
1. money

2. crappy resto shop. it went broke while my car was in peices. found out about it when i got legal notice to move the galaxie. what wasn't lost was broken. car was partially done and what was done had to be ripped out (i.e. both complete rear panels amoung other things). no legal recoarse but was able to intimidate the owner enough to make it right, in a matter of speaking.

3. time. i don't have any.

4. did i mention money.

two good things though.

1. i found a good resto guy in town. a real artist. shipped in some good rear qaurters from out of state. body man disasembled the entire unit down to the skins including panel bracing. blasted, rust converter, undercoat, reassemble, reunder coat, put on car, paint interior of panel.

2. and the best thing is sounds like i'm not the only one that that runs into pain in the a$$ expensive problems and unqualified jerk off "professional" body shop services.

p.s. i think perhaps this forum is a support group for obsesive compulsives. there really is no logical reason for me to spend what i have on my galaxie. yikes.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Lets see the only problemI had on my last project

#1 - Buying the freakin car
#2 - Working on the car
#3 - Running out of money

LOL

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did my own body work, so I can't complain I guess.

1. Fuel Tank. Its a '65 and has a one year tank that is not available, and the '66 up tank is $400. I have done all I can do to the one I have and it still sucks.

2. Electrical. I am pretty fair with wiring, but 40 year old wiring is 40 year old wiring. It is very important to think over the grounds, where they are and how you can keep them working. I have added 6 supplemental grounds from 1 from engine to firewall, 1 firewall to frame, 1 intake manifold to cylinder head, 1 instrument cluster to firewall, 1 from dash frame to firewall, and 1 from the rear body to the frame. There will be another when I put the mp3/amp combo in, back at the amp. Another thing will be to put a relay headlight system in to reduce the load on the light switch. I still need to fix the fuel sender, and I hate giving 100 bones for one, especially with the fuel tank still in question.

3. Being broke all the time. Especially bad since I can't work any more, and as my vision goes away, I won't get to drive it any more.

The good things have been working with my son on it, and with all new springs shocks and brakes the feel of how an old car can ride and drive like that

Subtlety is only a matter of choosing the right hammer.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: BillBallinger on 8/10/06 8:50pm ]</font>

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
When it comes to body work. The old rules apply... You can have it Quick, Cheap or right...The catch? ... you only get to pick 2!

Quick 'n cheap = crappy results
Cheap 'n right = too much time
Right 'n quick = too much money
Right 'n cheap = do it yourself or lot of freinds

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Beoweolf: You forgot Long, Crappy, n Expensive.

Long - 10 months once he started it.
Crappy - Cracks in the body work and solvent pops that he wouldn't fix.
Expensive - Just under $11K and I had to buy all four replacement panels for the rear fenders.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts