Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks.
I am still working on the 66 TBird. I accidentally got in to powder coating, and now I have a stove in my garage.

Anyway, I did some parts that turned out pretty good.
My question is, the power steering brackets for the FE have some rubberlike material between the bolt and the bracket itself. I am assuming it is for vibration. I want to powdercoat this bracket, but the 400 degrees will melt the rubber. Any ideas on how important that rubber is? I was even thinking about cutting it out, powder coating, and replacing it with a fuel line.

What do you think?

BTW, powder coating is fast and easy. Your friends will be amazed.

Thanks!
Scott

·
Registered
5 Posts
i have a 64 and know exactly what you're talking about. my dad was a powdercoating freak and did everything he could. these he left alone though, and i would suggest the same for you. the rubber on this part is really particular-- it must be Hard. if yours are soft, you might even need to replace them.
messing with the rubber can allow for even more play in the steering, which is really not good (as you'll find when you finally drive your car, there's a lot of play already!). if you want something thick and tough, you can use por-15, which would be really good for them if they're rusty, but my suggestion is to rattlecan them or leave them how they are.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts