Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking my Bird off of the streets and running it only at the track. I was wandering if any of you guy's that trailor your car's to the dradstrip run any accesories like alternater or power steering. When I did the circle track thing back in the seventies we didn't run alternaters we just stretched the belt from the waterpump to the balancer pully and we didn't run power steering.....Bob

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Bob, I run an alternator. Electric water pump, but have an alternator. I wired in, (real hard), a 1 wire GM alternator, then got a march pulley and run the alt right off the crank.
MSD pulls enough juice, along with the electric fuel pump and water pump to warrant the alternator.
My .002
For sure if you run NITROUS OXIDE, (there, did I say it correctly guys?)
, you want to run an alternator! (keep the voltage, etc, even).....

·
Registered
314 Posts
I also run an alternator. I used a regular old style Ford alternator with a one wire conversion like this:
http://www.falconparts.com/One%20Wire%20Alternator.htm

Also have a 4" alt pulley with a 6" crank pulley. Works great even with only one battery. I can go to a two day race weekend and never have to charge the battery. No nitrous, but I do run an MSD 7AL2, electric water pump, 14" fan, Holley black pump, delay box, electric shifter and transbrake. I imagine it takes a fair amount of power to run all that stuff. Buddy of mine is an electrical engineer. He says that when converting amps to hp it only takes 1.2 hp to make the full 55 amp output from my alt. Plus it's only putting out max at top rpm. I would guess that I gain that 1.2 hp back in ignition strength.

Later,

David Cole

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Dave C on 1/24/02 5:47am ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts