Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
curious, is there room in the front fender to remove the stock antenna mast and install a power antenna? I want to be able to retract it all the way down . reason being is to be able to use a cover w out having to add a hole. thanks.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question but have you thought about an antenna with a removable mast? I've seen them with both a fixed height antenna and collapsable.

Just an example: Removable mast antenna

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a power antenna thanks though. i just want to know if it will fit in the stock fender location on my 66. because, it def wont on my 62 falcon.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
Pop your regular antenna out and look below down the hole or you may be able to see upward through the door opening if there is room. I believe the cowl vent is in the way. Ford put most of the power ones in the rear quarters. My 72 is in the left rear, works great because I can see it in left rear mirror. The motor has a little bracket that goes over to the wheel tub and anchors it there.

·
Registered
1963 Ford Galaxie 500
179 Posts
I have a power antenna thanks though. i just want to know if it will fit in the stock fender location on my 66. because, it def wont on my 62 falcon.
If they sell one specifically for the Galaxie, would it not fit?

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I trust nothing specced as 'direct fit' for a 66 these days. hence why im asking for 1st hand experience before i pull a fender. TBH i might just mount it in the back and blank off the hole up front but would prefer not to.

·
Premium Member
1,193 Posts
If your car came with original Ford antenna and the rectangular base with 4 screws. The 1993 R Mustang has a cap over antenna base. All the Mustangs came with radio standard that year, But the R was only for performance and no radio. The cap will snap onto a Ford rectangular base if you cut the mast off. But it only comes in matte black. Probably hard to find now. Most mid 60's seem to favor right rear quarter panel for power antenna's.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Yes, a power antenna will fit inside the same area the stock antenna goes. However, RH air vent down near the kick panel may not open all the way. At least that's what I found after installing one in my '66.

I added one during my restoration. Ended up choosing a Hirschman which are German and known for their quality. Reason is I never wanted to pull the fender or service it in the future.

To operate, I added a switch inside the console. Flip it on for the antenna to go up, then off for it to go down. Works fine.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
66SevenLiter, thats great info, thanks. I can live with slightly reduced pass side vent operation as i have ac added.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Glad to help.

One more thing, when installing mine, I was able to reuse the factory chrome plate, gasket and the tapered nut on the LH fender. The Hirschmann antenna came through all three, then I tightened down the tapered nut atop the plate as you would with the factory antenna. That way, it all looked stock and original.

I attached the installation instructions which show both how the 1966 full-size Ford antenna was installed as well as what I mean above. Easy peasy. Also included a picture so you can see what it looks like with the antenna down. Typically I only put it up when I'm listening to AM/FM radio. But that's not often because the music I like comes out of the electric cutouts.

Botany Map Organism Font World

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

1 - 12 of 12 Posts