Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1993 Taurus 3.0 air, auto

Power assist not working at idle.
Pressure switch changed for known good one, had no effect. Power assist works properly anytime engine is off idle speed. Is there a filter/screen in the pump?

Car shakes side to side during acceleration.
Only under load will it shake, lift foot off pedel and it will stop shaking. Engine is not missfiring, and mounts seem to be ok. Changed and balanced tires. Possible bad CV joint?

Thanks Larry - Cleveland

·
Registered
74 Posts
Larry,what do you mean by power assist??? The shaking side to side on acceleration is your CV shafts!! Chrysler vans have a bad problem with this!!! ALSO, PLEASE check your outer and INNER tie rod ends for movement,but the problem is more likely your shafts!!!(The inner tulips on the shafts wear out)[email protected]

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Larry,
How does the car shake side to side? Can you feel it pulling or? A Taurus with bad motor mounts feels really strange. An easy way to check the mounts is to have someone put the car in gear with their foot on the brakes and then give it some gas while you watch the engine. Do this in both forward and reverse gears. It's pretty easy to see if the engine moves a lot. I've seen Taurus mounts bad enough that the throttle lever hit the underside of the hood, making the car real fun to drive
Did you check the balljoints and tie-rod ends?
There is no filter or screen in the PS pump. It sounds like you have a weak pump. I'd replace it and see what that does.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The side to side feels like a bad ply in the tire shake (they are new and I did a rotation too) checked all of the frount end solid. I have change parts over the years. No pulling, no wheel shake. Replaced the motor mount about 3 months ago.

On the pump. How can I test the pressure? I hate to just throw parts at a problem.

Thanks for all the help....Larry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts