Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got all excited the other day, I thought I'd finally get to hear this thing run...

Nope.

I figure out the fuel pump isn't running.
Try a different relay, still nothing.
Check the power, key off, one hot wire, three dead.
Key on, three hot, one dead, but when I put the test light on either of the two small leads, I hear a buzzing coming from the ECM...
What the heck is that???

So I figure the fuel pump is dead. So I put a new pump in.

Still nothing.
Finally check the power at the plug for the pump, nothing...

This thing ran before, I haven't touched any of the wires for the fuel pump. Maybe one is grounding out somewhere, but I don't know how/why/where...

If I can't find it, how dangerous do you think it'd be to run a separate wire from the battery to the fuel pump and bypass the computer/wiring harness all together?
I'd have fuses and switches involved...

This is a 1/4 mile car only, won't see any street time.

·
Registered
395 Posts
If its all track, I'd for sure fuse it and put a manual switch on it too. If street, then I'd jumper it once just to see if the pump would run so I could rule it out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I busted my butt last week trying to get it ready to run on Sunday.
Then this happened and threw a monkey wrench into my gears...

So I'm not touching it for at least a week. I just need to step away for a little bit and think it through... It's probably something simple, I just need to approach it when I'm calmer...

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I figured out the inertia switch is bad. I unplugged the connector and grounded one of the wires and the fuel pump kicked on. But, it won't shut off...

Now what???

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SawBones25 on 7/9/06 1:51am ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
maybe because the inertia switch is bad and you bypassed it? I have heard and thought they were supposed to stop running when pressure is reached, but my 87 does the same thing..havent had any issues because of it...it just logs a fuel pump circuit code in the ecm.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like you may have a bad accident cut out switch or it needs reset. You could just bypass it, it cuts out the ground.
Yeah, that's the inertia switch we were talking about.

Actually it ended up being in the wiring harness. I replaced it and now it's all good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Glad to hear it is fixed. I didn't relize how old of a post it was until I replied. Sorry, I will try to pay better attention, new at this online stuff.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts