Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having trouble installing a replacement for my power steering cylinder in my 68. the procedure is self explanitory, however i cannot get the stud that connects the cylinder to the center link loose. it's a graduated stud, and i cannot figure out how to pop it out. i tried hammering, pry-barring, using a bigger hammer, even a gear puller, but the space was too tight to fit one in. i'm stuck, and could use some advice

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: spiderzero on 7/31/06 5:05am ]</font>

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
upon further inspection, it looks like i need a specific tool, however i don't know the name of the tool, all i have is a number for said tool out of an old shop manual. it looks like some sort of impact tool, that uses a highly polished shaft and a large weight that you would just affix to the stud and bang away till it comes loose. are there any other applications that this may be used for, or does anyone know what to call it?

·
Registered
830 Posts
you need a ball joint separator and a Ford tool (BFH aka Big Freakin Hammer) . should be able to find then at sears or any good parts store. first try putting in the tool, and putting a little pressure on it, then whack the nut covered stud with a hammer. it should pop off. HTH

·
Registered
21 Posts
It's marvelous what a little heat applied to one side of the drag-
link next to the mounting hole will do. Apply it quickly with the link
supported on a work bench between two blocks of wood with
the cylinder perpendicular. Thread the nut on leaving 1/16"
between it and the rod with no threads above the nut. Heat
quickly, let sit about 45 seconds and smack the top of the nut.
Should pop loose. Do not heat so much as to send heat in to
the taper stud.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the heating idea sounds like it'll work, but i haven't taken the center link off of the rest of the front end assembly. won't i run into the same problems getting the center link seperated?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts