Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Iam new to the forum but a long time galaxie fan. I was wondering if any one has done a home conversion power pack pinion set up on a 64 galaxie. I know WURTH-IT DESIGNS makes a conversion kit for $1400, but i think that is a little pricey for somthing i could make in my chassie fab class. Any one have any info on ther kit what rack is used, and photos. From the pics on there site it it looks like there is a bolt on crossmember that holds the rack to the car.

Joe

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dearborn Classics was going to use the Wurth-it kit but had issues with his ability to fulfill posible orders. His wife was in a very bad accident as you may know and he is the primary care giver so it takes up much of his time. Dearborn told me that they have another supplier on line and should have something by winter. It won't work for me with FPA headers...unless I want to upgrade to a set that they make that will clear the rack though. Give em a call. It's toll free so it only costs you the time to make the call.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I've seen guys use GM J ( Cavalier) car racks on Fairlanes etc and I'm using a Taurus Rack on my '67 Mustang. The trick is to get a rear steer rack like those I mentioned and also make sure you keep the tie rod geometry angles the same as the original center link or you can get bad bump steer. If you have the ability to fab then you can pretty much do anything. You'll need to use u joints etc. to go from the rag joint to the rack. You'll need to experiment with tie rods to get around the metric/SAE issues but Mustang II's ones work on the Taurus and have the proper spindle tapers IIRC. If you use a Taurus style rack, Windstars have steering shaft that uses the same clamp at the rack and can propably be modified at the column end. I still need a steering column for my '67 so I haven't got to that part yet.....baby steps for me! Stu

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
They guy that did the work on my car has been waiting since September 2005 for Wurth it to fill an order. After waiting 6+ months he reverse engineered the design because he had to finish the cars sitting in this shop.

I called Rick Wurth 4-6 months ago and told him I couldn't recommend him until he takes car of customers like this shop owner first.

I believe the shop owner (Andre) has some ready to ship and may be less in price then Wurth it. Here is his e-mail-

[email protected]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fakesnake on 10/11/06 10:26am ]</font>

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help guys I was able to do a little more work and find out how you would pick a rack for such an application. basically you draw a line the goes through the center of the lower arm bushings, the ball ends in the rack that let the tie rods move must be on this line to avoid bump steer issues. if you look at the few photos of the wruth kit, the main body of the rack is narrow. The only problem I have now is getting the needed mesurments of the frame and arms, my car is 6 hrs away back home. iam hoing i can get back home this weekend and get what I need, if people are intrested i will keep updating as I work on this.

Joe

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi found out that the rack used in the wurth kit is a center-take-off rack used in some mopars and Gm cars. I will try to find out in class how this type of rack needs to be linged up to the frame and suspensision and so on. if any one out there knwes anything about these racks let me know please.

Joe

·
Registered
525 Posts
Please let us know what rack works out. The next big job on my gal includes steering, brakes, and suspension upgrades. I do all my work myself so any advise that comes from experience is the best advise of all

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the only way I will figure this out is too run around in a junkyard crawling under cars and measuring the racks. its cold out and that does not sound like fun to me, think i might put this on the back burner of now.

Joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
hi also new to forum my 59 ranchero with a 460 needed a little help in steering ! found wurthit wow to much $$$$. as a steel fabricator i said i can do that.center stear rack out of 89corcica it work out well i have some pics if interested

·
Registered
197 Posts
IM also interested i think the gm j body would work on full-size 60-64 fords.I would like to do it on my 62 galaxie but 1400 is out of my ballpark

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
59ranchero, if you have any pics of that could you send them to me, or any other info? Other then the rack slection the ony other problem I could see was how to connect the colum ad input angel. For anyone intrested in the next 2 day I will be getting into suspensision lay out, I did find out that there is a flaw in the 64 ford suspensision. If you drew a line that went through the center of the 2 lower control arm bushings (front to back), the inner tie rods should pivot on this line. The 64 for lay out has the inner tie rods inbord of this line, the cars should have a bump steer issue. after I get past my suspension lay out I wil post up any usefull information.

Joe

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: GalaxieJoe67 on 10/17/06 3:34pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Would love to have that info also..

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I would also be interested in any R&P set ups. I am in the process of trying to install a Crysler 300M rack on my 61 Starliner. This rack looks like a heavy duty GM rack. I can't use the Wurth-it rack as I use the FPA tri-y headers on the 428 in my car.
The only real problem I have is that with this rack the pinion comes out at a flatter angle than the GM ones so connecting to the steering shaft is a problem.
I am also interested to learn more about what others are doing about the bump steer in these cars? When I changed to the disk brake set up it really has a lot of toe change through the bump and rebound cycle so my plan with the new rack is to try to figure out where the inner tie rod ends need to be located to minimize this change.

I will be working on this through the off season months.

Scott...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just surived 8 hrs of front suspension layout in class. To avoid a bump steer issue the inner tie rods should rotate on the line that connects the lower front and lower rear control arm bushing. Bump steer can also chane toe in or out in a car in suspensision travel. , might be the reason galaxies had toe issue to adjust for bump steer , who knows. You can test for bump steer by having you susensision set to spec, suporting the car by the frame then removing the front springs and shocks. Lift each wheel with a jack and check for toe change in the suspensision travel, also lift both front wheels and check for the same change. i was told in cass that you should see no more then 1/16 inch change up to 1/8 inch, but depending on tires and side wall height you might fell that little bit. If you are going to do this test dont be surprised to see camber and caster change in the 64 galaxie suspensision travel, it should do that.

Iam just guessing at this but with the car being a rear steer setup, if there was a bump steer issue the tires might toe in?

joe

·
Registered
116 Posts
I put a wurth rack on my 62. A couple of issues I had to deal with were, I used Crites headers and had to have #4 pipe cut and rewelded to miss the rack. I also had to reverse both tie rods to also clear the headers. The angle from the steering column to the rack is extreme even with a double D borg u joint. I have started the car and turned the wheel a couple of times, but without driving it yet I may have some flop in the U joints, not sure. Once I get the car on the road I will get back to the forum and let you guys know whats going on. My 2 cents on Wurth, He is a sincere guy that is way over his head in what is promised and what is reality. I told him once to advise his customers that he is out there on delivery and really should not take anyones money until he gets his act together. He owes me for my Borg DD u joint at $135 I had to finally buy from them direct because after several promises that never came. Good Luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
with the center steer rack i dont see a problem with off setting the rack to one side to clear headers, as long as the tie rod ends are in the correct place. Neils64Galaxie427 did you have to do any modification to the steering column? I know with the mustangs that the end of the column must be cut.

Joe

1 - 20 of 32 Posts