Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who does it? I've gotten pretty quick, at least I think I have at speed shifting, off throttle and then back on. I've done powershifting years ago when I was in high school messing around on the street no throttle lift and use clutch to bang next gear right? My question is I have a toploader 4sp and i thought i remember messing around before and just quickly hitting the next gear on the street w/o pushing the clutch in.
Anyone else done that? If so when dragging at the track is it possible to just have a no lift throttle shift and not hit the clutch?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeaaaa, that don't sound good..

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
No. At those RPMS you have to use the clutch. Now, at slow RPMS it is very possible and doable to shift without the clutch. Again, no RPMS hardly and you then pull slowly out of one gear and push it slowly into the other. The syncronizers just mesh. Ive done it, its pretty wild. You cant go very fast at all though.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
I used to shift my 289 powered 67 coupe that way all the time. First gear to about 4500rpm, straight to 4th gear gently and without the clutch. No lugging, no effort, no grinding whatsoever, and an extremely lazy way to romp around town without shifting through every single gear over and over and over again light after light.

Doing it at the track....nah, I always slam the clutch to the floor with a kicking motion. Basically it only needs disengaged just as you're going into gear. I always consciously think 'kick pull' and pull on 'pull'. I do this because my hand reacts a lot faster than my foot, and by the time my foot hits the pedal, I'm already out of gear and just nosing into the next. It's a timing thing, but it's a DAMN FAST way to shift. I had probably 250 or more what would be high 10 second passes (if they were at the legal track =p) on drag radials with my 500hp 347 and slightly worked T5 using that method. Sold the car and motor with the tranny still running great after two years.

Your toploader is light years stronger than my T5 was.

Cris

·
Registered
97 Posts
Ronnie Sox was a expert at running a 4 speed in Pro-stock. You have to use a clutch to power shift. Some of the old school tricks was to open up the transmission and take out the synronizer gears and grind off every other tooth. This would increase your shifting speed and make the transmission all most power shift effortlessly at high rpm. A short throw hurst pro-shifer or a hurst vert-gate is the ticket. hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Also solid bushings anywhere you can put them in the shift linkage for less cushion and more direct movement to the next gear. My 97 Cobra Mustang was terrible for speed shifting. I think it had the borg warner 5spd? From 1-2 and 3-4 it felt like I had to go over some kind of hump or through some kind of gate inside somewhere. It usually meant a nice zinging type grind from 1-2 and losing sleep just thinking of the sound.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I bent lots of clutch linkage stuff on my 68 speed shifting..First it was the little rod going from the equalizer bar back to the clutch fork..I reworked it about 3 times before finally tossing it and making a heavy duty one..Next was the actual equalizer bar itself..After straightening it a couple of times I welded on a reinforcing piece along the side of it to keep it straight..Once you start missing shifts you know something is bent so the clutch is not disengaging properly..Also sometimes the torquing over of the motor will throw your clutch linkage out of alignment and cause problems....I've never tried shifting without lifting,at least not in my mustang...Too afraid to break stuff and I miss enough shifts using the clutch!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts