Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered a seal kit for the pump in my '67 Cougar from Mustangs plus. I also got an entirely rebuilt steering set-up (all the parts under the car) from a guy on ebay. Question is, is there a difference if I use ATF as the fluid or conventional power steering fluid. The power steering fluid seems thicker than ATF, and might also help in reducing possible seeping and leaking. Can I even use the other one? Thoughts?

·
Registered
91 Posts
either or. I know that the ATF fluid works the same for steering and my local mustang shop says that there the same on early fords. Im running the ATF and not having any trouble in my 67 coupe. hope that helps

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I know my application is way different than yours, but I just thought I'd add that the aren't the same thing. By accident once I added about 1/2 quart of ATF to my power steering pump (stock '86 bronco pump, with the plastic housing) and about a day later it started making the characteristic whining sound of a pump going out. I checked it again and noticed how the cap said "Power Steering Fluid Only", LOL! So I decided I'd try and save the pump, and I siphoned out as much fluid as possible and then refilled it with power steering fluid. The whine went away instantly.

Anyways, the point of my story is, it's not the same stuff. I suppose some pumps might run well with either, but I know mine didn't.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was on a trip over the weekend when my power steering started howling. It got really annoying and I didn't have any power steering fluid, only ATF. So I topped it off with the ATF and the howl went away. I guess it works as a substitute if you really need it in a bind, but I wouldn't suggest using ATF if you have power steering fluid available.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GEEEEZ!! For the last 2 1/2 (about how long I've had my car) years I've been using ATF. It's always whined, and when I asked my mechanic, he told me they "just do that." Maybe that's why it's been leaking!

·
Registered
596 Posts
I've been using ATF on the '72 Torino clip in my 56 f-100, worked fine for all I know, but it did leak, then last time at the auto store I picked up some Power Stearing Fluid and topped it off. Well it still works fine but doesn't leak, at this time it's about a 50/50 mix.

Go figure.

·
Registered
3,700 Posts
I've always heard ... (for years ... and I'm a bit older than most of you guys) ... that ATF works fine in a pinch

But personally ... I'd go for the "Real Stuff" if at all possible

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re: Power Steering, ATF or "Power Steering Fluid"

Just replaced the power cyclinder and power steering pump on my 67 Mustang and it is whining bad. they are both new (Cardone) I used Type F fluid. Can someone help me?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

you have air in yours system or our pump is bad . . most likely the pump is bad . . there is a part inside them that causes this which they rarely, if ever, change.

thick fluid will only reduce a loud whine, it will not eliminate it.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts

Just to make sure, jack the front to raise the tires just off the ground, and turn the steering lock-to-lock with the engine OFF. Center the steering and check the fluid level. Top-off as necessary. Repeat the lock-to-lock cycle 10 more times, and check the fluid level again. Lower the car and start the engine. Test the steering for noise and operation.

If your Ford Service Manual (FSM) states a variation to these instructions for your year and model, follow those instead.

David

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

xlnt suggestion by PSIG, xlnt results . . perhaps a full case of beer is in order.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts

Glad it worked for you. Barnett called it with air in the system, I just offered the most common purging procedure.

David

·
Registered
90 Posts

FWIW my 64 gal. shop manual calls for ATF type "a" fluid. that probably ended when ford did away with the slave cylinder power steering.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts

My 70 calls for Type "F" ATF in the power steering, the same as the transmission.

·
Registered
10,309 Posts

FWIW my 64 gal. shop manual calls for ATF type "a" fluid. that probably ended when ford did away with the slave cylinder power steering.
Type-A fluid was phased-out due to part of it's base oil stocks being whale oil, and also due to higher emissions-era temperatures. Type-F was the standardized replacement, followed by the improved Type-CJ. As there are no clutch packs or other wet-brake or friction devices in the power steering system, most any transmission fluid has the anti-wear and anti-oxidation properties to work fine, though I would use whatever your trans is using. Other power "transmission" fluids are also suitable, such as various AW/R&O hydraulic fluids (such as "tractor fluid" or "UTF"), which are what classic power steering fluids and many HD, performance, and racing transmission fluids are based on.

The little bottles of retail power steering fluid often contain an additive to make the seals swell to reduce leaks until service can be provided, though it causes premature seal failure if they were otherwise OK. I would suggest if your system is not leaking, do not use one with the leak-stop additive.

David

·
Registered
90 Posts

type A fluid was replaced by dexron 3 or mercon not F. you can still buy F.
when I was doing shift kits in turbo 350s & 400s, B&M wanted you to use type F instead of dexron proving once again ford had a better idea.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts