Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to put power steering in my 51 ford rat im going to use a 1989 ford f150
power steering pump and i have got a toyota 4x4 power steering box's from a 1979-1984 toyota pickup but what fittings or adapter fittings do i use at the hoses fittings at the boxs ??? or just have new hoses made thanks

·
Registered
10,342 Posts
There are two common ways to mix breeds. Stock fittings from each item joined with new hose, or by using AN hardware and adapter fittings. The problem with using stock ends when mixing SAE and metric import ends is the hose sizing. They are usually mis-matched for that on the pressure hose - but check to be sure because it's easy and cheap(er) if they will mate.

If no joy there, you will have to research the fitting types on each end. The Ford (after 1982) should be a 16mm x 1.5mm o-ring fitting on the pressure port,and the Toyota fitting is 16mm inverted flare. I think the Toy box return outlet is 17mm x 1.5mm, or just a hose barb outlet. Anyway, check and verify all this, as there are overlapping and odd years for certain pumps and boxes. Often, places that supply AN hardware to car guys, or shops that make PS hoses have some answers if you can't just measure whet you have.

Then, just get those new fittings, AN hose fittings, and appropriate hose, lay it out and make it up. :tup:

David

PS: Classic Performance claims they have a kit with whatever AN adapter fittings you need for $30 or so. Pricey, but perhaps the easy way. #5356THF-K

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks PSIG i went out and got to hose from the toyota and will take the ford and the toyota hose tomorrow and have them maid in to one that i need thanks agin theys are new things i have ben learning on this new ride the #1spudman

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.