Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to remove the power steering control valve on my 1964 Galaxie, I am having a heck of a time trying to remove it so I can rebuild it, it leaks. I can not get the valve to drop free of the pitman arm to remove it. Anyone ever have this problem?? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
Bill Bailey

·
Administrator
21,726 Posts
The ball stud is tapered (like tie rod ends etc) that goes into the pitman arm, have you already used a puller to get that loose?
When you do get it loose be sure to mark the where it is located on the center link piece before unscrewing it so that you can put it back where it was when done. There is a pin that needs to be removed before you can unscrew it also.

·
Administrator
21,726 Posts
i went to harbor frieght and got a cheap puller for 5 bucks. It worked for that and the tie rod ends so I got my money's worth and all I needed it for was the one use anyway. If I remember right it didn't fit real well on there but it did the job.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
We had very easy time. We had to "tap" with a hammer, but it released from the pitman. Good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wish I had asked you all for advise before I tried to remove it, you guessed it, I tried the pickle fork first. I read the above supplied link and will see if I can find the roll pin it mentioned. Thanks again friends, I will let you know how it turns out.
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally went to NAPA and bought a Tie rod puller. It was too wide to match the pitman arm, so I put the castelated nut on the ball stud upside down and hooked one side of the puller under the pitman arm, then carefully ran the adjuster down into the castellated nut and the was able to free up the ball stud, it came free with a loud "pop". The ball stud dropped free of the pitman arm. I painted the threads of the main link with silver paint prior to removing so as to locate the valve back where it came from. I had damaged the ball and slider when I attemped to use the pickel fork prior to contacting this forum for help, so I decided to send the valve off to Phoenix Arizona for a professional repair facility to do the job right . I will let you know how it works when done. Thanks for all your help again.
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
The shop manual gives a measurement to correctly position the control valve on the drag link.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am happy to report, I have completed the installation of the control valve. I paid $195.16 for the repair, they did a great job. It came back to me all painted up and pretty. I regret not knowing anything about the control valve and how they work, learning is expensive, however it is worth the lesson if I can help someone else down the road not have learn the hard, and expensive way as I did. I am so glad to have my Ford running again, Thanks again to all of you for your help.
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I recieved the repaired control valve on Monday and installed it, using the painted area of the main link as a guide. I snugged all lines up and filled the power steering pump with fluid. I started it up and it works perfectly, no leaks. The repair cost me $ 195.16 a costly lesson for using the PICKLE FORK . I am enjoying driving my Galaxie once again. I thank you all again for your awesome help,
Bill Bailey

·
Administrator
21,726 Posts
Each of those 2 posts are a bit different though. If you want one deleted which one, the second one that is shorter that starts out "I recieved the the repaired control valve" ?

One of these days I will have to do the same with mine. I put a kit in but only had schematics to go by so I was just happy it still worked although it does still leak, just not as badly.

I also forgot to pay attention to which of those little short hoses went where and someone sent me a pic of thiers to go by. The dumb thing I did was stick my arm through the steering wheel to start it the first time even after being warned. One of those things like when 4 wheelin don't wrap your thumb around the steering wheel to grip it in case you hit something and it whips the wheel around. Ouch!

So people, don't forget like I did! Don't stick your arm through the wheel to start the first time because if the hoses are wrong or something not adjusted it could whip that steering wheel around on it's own and possibly break your arm! I was lucky and should of remembered that since I already was wondering if the hoses were hooked up to the correct place.

Happy to hear all is well Bill and that the ride is rollin again!

Deb

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to the warning I found, I had placed a 2" piece of green masking tape across the steering wheel, just so I wouldn't get hurt. I had marked the two lines with a punch prior to removing them. Thanks again,
Bill Bailey

·
Registered
2 Posts
Re:Removing Power Steering Control Valve

I have '63 Galaxie and have a leaky P/S control valve.I read the other replies on the forum but would like to know what kind of puller do you use on it?Is installing the repair kit something a reasonably handy guy can do?
Thanks,Al

·
Registered
330 Posts
Go to a Canadian Tire parts desk and borrow their ball joint/ball stud removal kit. It comes in a case with a variety of stud removers. I forget exactly what they call it, but there will be a laminated chart on the desk and look through it. I pointed to the kit and said "I need this one, here." The remover fingers are loosley applied and then using a ratchet, slowly and gently apply torque to the top of the tool. The ball just pops out.

After a credit card deposit I was off. Returned the part a couple hours later and got my C/Card refund.

I wish I could remember exactly what the kit is called and you could call an make sure it is in the shop. :confused: I've also borrowed their coil spring compressor with great results too.

I was going to rebuild my valve, but I ultimately sent it off to a steering place who did my steering box and valve. Tightened up the steering a lot.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 1967 ford mustang 289 V8. I am replacing front suspension and I need a roll pin that goes from the power steering control valve into the center link. Cannot find one anywhere, any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
3,642 Posts
I have a 1967 ford mustang 289 V8. I am replacing front suspension and I need a roll pin that goes from the power steering control valve into the center link. Cannot find one anywhere, any suggestions?
any larger ace hardware store should have them
the usually keep them in small bins in same area with specialty nut/screws/fastners...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I thought those control valves leaked when they drove them off of the assembly line. I have the generic power steering on my Galaxie--------- Biceps! Bud

1 - 20 of 21 Posts