Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up folks,

I'm looking for a little help on fixing my Power Steering in my '63 Fastback. Long story short, a while back the steering started to get noisy (doesn't sound like grinding, more like a moaning/hissing) and very muddy/tough to turn.

I checked belts and fluid levels - belts are tight and fluid level WAS ok. Next time I drove it, steering was still muddy and after parking, I opened the hood and PS fluid was everywhere. Reservoir tank had barely anything in it (check pics below for the level it's at now).

I got the car to temp in my garage and moved the wheel back and forth a bunch of times, hoping to find the leak. Turns out the fluid is coming out the top of the reservoir tank (pics to follow) right where the washer/thumb screw (and rubber seal gasket) sit to hold the reservoir tank lid on. After the last two leaks there's barely any fluid in the system, but I could not find anywhere else that is leaking, either from around the pump or further down any hose lines.

I can't find any other leaks at this point. Any thoughts on what I may be facing? I was thinking of just pulling the pump/hoses and looking for clogs, but how do I tell if the pump is bad? Can something like that be rebuilt, and if so, any resources you can point me to? And I figured I'll replace all hoses since I'll have it apart.

Also, how much fluid needs to be in the reservoir tank when I'm topping off the PS fluid? Previously I filled it to the top of the internal filter. And do I need to do anything to make sure the system has no air in it, etc?

Here are pics of the whole setup. It does not match the original Galaxie manual (the motor is non-original anyway) and it's a 72' 427 sideoiler, so I'm wondering if the pump is a '72 off of another fullsize Ford? Any help you can offer to decipher what's going on would be great. I did not put the car together so I don't have the specifics on part #s, etc. If I pull the pump and find a part # I'll post it here eventually.

Thanks,

Willis

Here's the lid and rubber gasket where I saw the leak:

Lid off:

Topdown shot of tank:

Pump config:

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
The filter could be clogged up or it lost some pieces because of age and clogged things up. Macs autoparts and i think even autozone has new filters for the power steering. You can test the filter idea by just removing the filter and putting the top back on the pump etc and seeing if it stops spewing power steering fluid.

If that doesn't help you will probably have to disassemble things and clean out the system. Not sure if there is an easy way to do this other than removing the hoses and all and blowing out each piece as you go. Might get lucky and it's only the filter or at the end of one of the hoses that you find something clogging. More than likely the filter is clogged or it has started falling apart and clogged things up. The pump itself is relatively easy to take apart and put back together.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input - are the reservoir filters pretty much universal? How about the rubber seal/gasket that goes around the threaded post on top of the tank's cover?

Thanks,

Willis

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
You should also have a rubber gasket under the reservoir lid ?? Rock auto is also a source for your power steering parts. The reservoir on the fender is found only on the early models, My 63.5 is that way also. I got rid of the filter in the tank and went with a high flow filter on the return line, Just before the reservoir, you can get them at any parts house. I went completely thru my power steering, pump, hoses and ram. Knowing what I do now I would have taken a good look at Flaming Rivers rack system for the 63, Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far your suggestion was spot-on. I pulled the filter and it immediately felt more responsive, less muddy. Now on to order a filter!

I also checked the rubber gasket around the top of the tank lid - that's in good shape. Smaller seal that the threaded post goes through could probably use replacing (know where to get one?). Now to get that new filter in place and see if it acts up again. While I'm at it I may pull the hoses and check them to make sure there's no clogs. The filter in place was very old and the outer wrappings were starting to deteriorate.

Thanks again - hopefully no more issues after this!

Willis

·
Super Moderator
21,514 Posts
You might take that seal into the parts store with you as they might have boxes of misc seals and have one that will be just the one you need. My filter wasn't too healthy looking either when i removed it. I didn't even know there were filters in there til i took the whole pump and all apart to put in a seal kit. Now i don't have one but need to put one in again some time. Hopefully that's all it was is the filter and no clogs anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts