Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 64 XL.
The power steering is out since I bought the car. the previouse owner said as soon as you add fluid it all leaks out. What is the best method for determining the problem (step by step)? does anyone have this procedure documented (maybe even with some pictures) ???

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Hey everyone, this is a good friend of mine, i've told him a few times about all you guys and how nice you all are - aaaawwwwwwwwwwww, isn't that sweet

He got a clean ass 64 XL, so clean im jealous

Mike, you're in the right place, these people rule, especially DEB

L

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'd clean the whole area with Gunk or similar degreaser, then add some fluid, start the car and see where it leaks out.

RR

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
That system has four hoses plus the control valve and ram not to mention the pump itself to look at. Also some cars have a remote reservoir if it had A/C which uses a hose that can crack with age. I'd do exactly what RacingRob said. Stu

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Awwww aren't you sweet L.

I'd do like they said, clean it up and watch where it's going. If it's leaking that bad it should be easy to see. Bet it's one of the hoses though.

·
Subscriber
188 Posts
Bound to be a hose if it's going that fast. The hoses delaminate from the inside, so they not only clog things up but they split too.

-Will

3:00-Strange-rearend Moser-35-spline-axles, 4 wheel power disc brakes,
resto-diary: www.math.byu.edu/~bill

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: will4685 on 10/11/06 8:48am ]</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool Thanks for the advice. Its exactly what lgh1157 told me. Im going to do it this weekend. Hopefully its not too expensive to fix.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I cleaned it all up, replaced the RAM (because it was obviously bad), replaced all the hoses and it works great!! The pump leaks slowly so I think Ill need to buy a rebuild (any advice?? ) and it sqeels I think when the fluid gets low?? (not sure about this yet either). Thanks all for your advice!!
M

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Squealing is usually a belt issue.

When the pump fluid level gets low, they tend to groan when you make a turn, at least mine does.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
not sure if the pump is like a 66 ford one but sometimes you can tighten the bolt at the end of the hose to stop the leaking where it meets the pump, i have used teflon tape too. leak gone. check dearborns site then try and find one at a cheaper price...sometime a newer car will have the same part at another place for cheaper. nice car keep it!

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Can he put some of that dye in his pump that shows up with a blacklight? I know you can do that to see oil leaks. Works good. Clean the area thoroughly, let it run a bit to cause a leak, then put a blacklight on it. It should glow green or yellow. Find the source of the leak.
Another thing; if you replace hoses, make sure they are the exact length and diameter that you replaced. If they aren't then they can flex and bend in a way that is not good, especially once they heat up while you are driving it. If this happens, it chokes off supply to the pump and burns it up. This happened to me on another car. The hoses would look fine, I would drive it and it would burn up the pump. This happened three times before I found the problem. Good luck.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: v8shadow on 10/21/06 8:44am ]</font>

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
On 2006-10-20 12:54, jerrym3 wrote:
Squealing is usually a belt issue.

When the pump fluid level gets low, they tend to groan when you make a turn, at least mine does.
Mine too. Probably a belt squeal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ShotRod64 on 10/21/06 2:33pm ]</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yep Belt sqeek. I tightend the belt and it all good. The pump is not leaking as much now. Maybe it just need to get used for a while. Hoepfully Im good now. Thanks everyone!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The car will turn right a lot further than it will turn left. Weird I guess Ill have to get up under there and see whats going on. Have any of you ever heard of this or know what it might be?

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
There is an adjustment for that in the manual. I think it's for ease of steering one direction or the other. Not sure if it has to do with distance. Never really noticed mine but might be mechanical and normal because of the design. Not sure.
The adjustment i spoke of above has to do with the bolt on the end of the power valve under the cover that's held on by 2 screws facing the outside of the car. Tighten some, get in, start it up, test it. Get out, readjust again and repeat til it's right. Or maybe even loosen depending on results.

deb

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
the control valve has to be at a certain distance from the center, i believe it 11,15/16 "
did you take it off ?

If it is on wrong it can throw your steering off

I may be completely wrong though

L

·
Registered
31 Posts
my 64 gal was like that when i got it.the front end was alighn wrong at some point in time.took it to the alighment shop and if i'm not mistaken he maqde sure the idler arm & pittman arm were straight and did the alighment from there.after that i had equil turns from right to left.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts