Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Does anyone else here have an inline cooler in their power steering setup? Or is mine an aftermarket thing? It's like a miniature radiator that is coming off of the steering box and then to the power steering fluid reservoir.

My power steering makes a metal on metal grinding sound when I turn hard to the left or the right, its a very brief sound. But i've read that my hoses may be backward. I still don't see how that is possible because one line has two threaded ends and the other has two clamp on ends, but if the cooler is aftermarket, then that might explain it.

Thanks for the help.

And she is home now.... and super jet black is amazing in the sunlight.

Attachments

·
Registered
653 Posts
Hi guys,

Does anyone else here have an inline cooler in their power steering setup?
Later years - by the late '60s - had them for sure. I'm not sure what year Ford started with them. It'd be fairly evident from a picture whether it's OE or aftermarket.

Power steering coolers are very important in some applications.

My power steering makes a metal on metal grinding sound when I turn hard to the left or the right, its a very brief sound. But i've read that my hoses may be backward.
Your power steering would not work at all if the hoses were backward.

The noise may be indicative of a worn pump, or some other issue. It's not the belt slipping on the pump pulley? When was the last time you changed your fluid? If you haven't done so lately your pump might appreciate a fresh fill with a decent modern synthetic ATF.

·
Premium Member
5,912 Posts
I have that cooler.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies, the pump is a re manufactured pump from napa, got it about 9 months ago. Do you think that I might have gotten my hands on a bad pump?

I will try to get a picture and post it later on tonight.

·
Administrator
21,759 Posts
Mine makes a groaning noise when i start a turn and more so when it's low on fluid. I put a kit in it but sometimes wonder if the filter i put in there that fell apart might of caused a clog somewhere even though looking in the pump it looks to be circulating well.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK..... so I guess I was wrong, the noise isn't so brief after all. if I hold the steering wheel in place at the end of an extreme left or right turn the noise is a hard metal on metal grinding sound. If I relax the steering wheel by letting go if it, the noise disappears. I don't have any leaks and I disconnected the return hose to the pump and ran about 4 qts. of PS fluid through the pump and steering box into a bucket, thinking flushing the system would help. The fluid comes out very quickly so I am out of ideas, is there a chance I have a bad steering box?

I did notice that when the noise happens, the pressure hose moves a little.
This is really strange....

thanks for any help

·
Registered
841 Posts
I thought that the PS used the same fluid as the trans for 66? Type F Trans fluid. If you're using off the shelf power steering fluid, it might not have the right viscosity or additives for the pump. Check to make sure you're using the right fluid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
if you mean tight as in full left or full right till it stops turning is when its making the noise almost all of them will make noise at that point because the pump is producing max pressure and is under full load its more of a groan because its straining at that point . if it does it all the time or your loosing the power assist then you have a bad pump but at full lock left or right a little noise is normal

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's odd because the pump is whisper quiet until I hit full lock. The Transmission fluid suggestion makes sense. Because the noise is loud and isn't natural at all.

The wheels turn as smooth as butter, I think I will have to pick up a few quarts of tranny fluid on my way home tonight.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, well I replaced the standard power steering fluid with Type F Transmission fluid and no dice..

The steering is still quiet until I hit full lock turning right or left and then the grinding noise starts. If I relax the steering wheel then the noise disappears and all is well. But if I hold the steering wheel to the end of it's travel it grinds like there is no tomorrow.

I'm at my wits end and I think it may be time to start replacing parts. I also noticed that the power steering pump and reservoir gets really hot after just a short time, is that normal?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Another poster had said the noise is normal, as @ full wheel lock, up against the stop your pump is pumping @ maximum pressure, and no where to really go. The hose movement tell this also, its a product of being under full pressure. I am not for sure if it has a pressure relief built in or not but it could be that if its got one. As stated it is a"normal" noise, as you are generally are not driving in 'full-lock'. As for temp I have no idea what the normal temp would be for a power steering pump.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advice, but I afraid I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. It's a really loud grinding sound. Nothing normal about it.

Your suggestion about the pressure relief is interesting though, I think I am going to investigate that avenue a little further.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for fun, I put a block of wood in between the spindle and the turn stop on the frame and turned the wheel. The noise appears when the spindle meets resistance, I thought it might have something to do with the wheel camber, caster... I can never remember which is which. But it looks like that theory is toast now.

Back to the drawing board.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Mine is a leaky mess right now and it doesn't make noise like that. Which part is making the noise? Have you had someone full lock turn it while you listen under the hood? I know it's *******, but a solid wood broom handle is a good diagnostic tool. See if it's the pump or the gear box.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Mine is a leaky mess right now and it doesn't make noise like that. Which part is making the noise? Have you had someone full lock turn it while you listen under the hood? I know it's *******, but a solid wood broom handle is a good diagnostic tool. See if it's the pump or the gear box.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Very true.. Didnt really think it MIGHT be the box itself.... ;)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Thanks for the advice, but I afraid I am going to have to disagree with you on that one. It's a really loud grinding sound. Nothing normal about it.

Your suggestion about the pressure relief is interesting though, I think I am going to investigate that avenue a little further.

Well when a hydraulic pump is pumping @ full pressure against a stop/end of travel etc, it will make a noise, usually a growling/ howling, or squealing noise(that would normally be a belt slipping on a belt driven pump). I am not for sure why it would be "Grinding", as there is really nothing that should be grinding inside a pump if it has proper fluid and level is correct. As I said I am not for sure if it has a PR valve built into a power steering pump or not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I believe the pump does, I was looking through my shop manual last night at the cross section of the pump assembly. I just wonder if that grinding at full lock is my steering gear telling me it's not getting the fluid it needs.

I'm going to return the pump and hope that I just got a bad one. I still have the receipt and the car has maybe had one mile put on it since I put it in.

It's been sitting for nearly 8 months, a long time for paint and body work I know, but I only had to pay friend prices.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts