Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking to see if anyone has done a power to manual steering conversion. I saw Rare parts makes a link to do this, but not for a 1966 galaxie.
Any other suggestions or ideas?

·
Premium Member
115 Posts
I was looking to see if anyone has done a power to manual steering conversion. I saw Rare parts makes a link to do this, but not for a 1966 galaxie.
Wish I could be more help.--- My 63 was born with manual steering because power steering and brakes were not optional with the High performance Tri-Power 406. What I can tell you is that my 63 has a larger diameter steering wheel to help with leverage turning. Power steering models came with a slightly smaller wheel. Just rebuilt most of my steering this summer and I have no problem turning. My wife struggles a bit though lol.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks fordwilly, Just trying to gain a little room and h.p./lose a little weight. It will have a set of skinnies up front,and im strong like bull so...😀

Yeah i havent seen anything except tracking down all the original parts needed to swap it all out to manual.

Unless someone chimes in,
Im thinking about taking everything loose, filling steering box with good gear oil and plugging the hose holes for now.
Im thinking it would need a way to breathe though.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Hello Yard Farmer,

The only two parts you need is the manual steering gear for 65-68 Ford full size and the Pitman arm. It bolts in place of the power steering gear. The manual gear is about 6 turns lock to lock. I had one parts car with manual steering.

I would try Desert Valley Auto Parts in Arizona and CTC Auto Ranch in Texas. I do believe you can still buy the Pitman arm brand new, so all you need to really hunt down is the manual gear.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Agree with DesertXL ... the manual steering pitman arm shouldn't be too hard to find. Don't have the part number offhand but it can help your search to have it. There may be a difference between Ford and Saginaw steering boxes though. Either way, a ton of manual steering cars were built back then. Power steering was a $100 option and many buyers were used to manual cars. But it was catching on quickly and many dealerships were ordering their cars with PS.

Keep in mind though that after you convert it parking will be a bugger. It takes a good amount of effort to crank that wheel around with no power steering. When the car is moving, no problem. But at a standstill, different story. Still, the road feel is quite nice. Only other consideration to table here is switching to a quick ratio steering box. They drop the turn-turn lock about 20-25% while offering better drivability for handling enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Been searching, most of the manual boxes, i have seen seem to fit a lot of 60's/70's midsize/big ford cars, so im not sure. The part # i keep seeing is 82-70096R for the box. The arm seems to be available at local part stores.

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
power boxes are inherantly faster than manual you need the mechanical advantage to turn the manual box. power assist allows a quicker ratio

·
Registered
63 convertable
848 Posts
looping the fluid lines doesnt change the ratio it just lets you use the box without loosing the fluid

·
Registered
1966 Galaxie
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I looped it today, turns really easy (no engine and shop floor)😀
Shouldnt be too bad with skinnies on front though.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think the shaft in the steering column will have to be changed too.
Hello junkyardjeff,

The manual steering gear for the 65-68 full size is directly interchangeable with the power steering gear option. The steering column stays the same. The input shaft on the manual gear appears much longer, but is the same length as the power steering gear with the control valve. The only other part that is different is the Pitman arm. So you need the manual gear Pitman arm.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you can't find a Pitman Arm there is a company called Rare Parts, that sells pwr. to manual parts. Just google there name

·
Registered
629 Posts
P/S box for the Galaxie is no more than a Saginaw unit with a Ford bolt pattern.
Internal parts are pretty much the same as well.
The manual box for a Galaxie is fairly rare. There are a couple on eBay right now.
(pretty sure the Galaxie box was the one that is found on the 71-73 Mustang manual steer cars)
Installation is pretty much an R&R and bolt onto the frame rail deal, as far as the swap is concerned.
Rare Parts has the correct pitman arm....

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The manual box for a Galaxie is fairly rare. There are a couple on eBay right now.
[/QUOock auto list
P/S box for the Galaxie is no more than a Saginaw unit with a Ford bolt pattern.
Internal parts are pretty much the same as well.
(pretty sure the Galaxie box was the one that is found on the 71-73 Mustang manual steer cars)
Installation is pretty much an R&R and bolt onto the frame rail deal, as far as the swap is concerned.
Rock auto list the manual gear box in stock

1 - 20 of 20 Posts