Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok have three ways to go 1964 Falcon Sprint, 289, toploader 4 speed need power steering what way would you guys go Electric with a tilt, Borgeson conversion or a power rack. thanks for the input. Later.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ok have three ways to go 1964 Falcon Sprint, 289, toploader 4 speed need power steering what way would you guys go Electric with a tilt, Borgeson conversion or a power rack. thanks for the input. Later.
Which electric Rack and pinion would you use?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering which approach you chose.

I have a related issue, but 180-degrees out from yours.

I've been working on restoring a 1965 Cyclone (A-code, toploader w/350:1 limited slip) and because the left side header is giving me fits (Z-bar clearance), I've decided to pull the factory-installed power steering and go with factory-style manual steering. When I'm finished, I'll probably sell all the power steering stuff. Any idea of what the market for a P/S center link, tie rod ends, pulleys, steering ram, etc. Sounds like you were trying to locate this stuff in order to upgrade your Falcon.

It's not very common to see early Falcons and Comets with P/S so there might not be much of a market for it. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
10,420 Posts
I would take care considering a rack & pinion, for cost and sometimes poor geometry. They are also little or no improvement (or worse) on steering for that reason, compared to a fully serviced (horn button to tread) stock system with complete (all geometry) alignment. Manual effort is minimal when set-up like this, and many of us prefer it (and Granny can drive it too). Else a stock PS or EPAS system will fill-in well if you or one of the drivers has an infirmity or handicap, which must be considered in the planning, along with your willingness or capabilities to lightly fab for EPAS or bolt-on for stock type. Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would take care considering a rack & pinion, for cost and sometimes poor geometry. They are also little or no improvement (or worse) on steering for that reason, compared to a fully serviced (horn button to tread) stock system with complete (all geometry) alignment. Manual effort is minimal when set-up like this, and many of us prefer it (and Granny can drive it too). Else a stock PS or EPAS system will fill-in well if you or one of the drivers has an infirmity or handicap, which must be considered in the planning, along with your willingness or capabilities to lightly fab for EPAS or bolt-on for stock type. Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I put a Borgeson power steering box in my 65 Ranchero. It required shortening the steering column and shaft. Now that I did that (and I made the smallest cuts possible), the steering column doesn't protrude completely through the firewall, which means the seal won't completely seal the passenger compartment from the environment.

After all is said and done, I'm seriously contemplating going back to manual steering and stock components.

Oh...why did I install a Borgeson box in the first place? The guy who did the work on the Ranchero for my dad (I inherited it) put a Mustang rack and pinion up front, and it was too wide to ever get proper steering. I put all stock parts under the front end of the car, but put in the Borgeson unit because an expert told me the easiest way to get power steering was going that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts