Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 65 xl 500 drop top does not have power steering and hard for the wife to drive, anyone done conversion with the electric assit braking kits that are available for around $1400.00? Also anyone installed power brakes with the kit for front disc brakes?

· Registered
539 Posts
Im not sure about the electric assist.. on brakes? but i did a leeds power brake install and the brakes are easy as pie to do. as far as power steering, can't you retrofit a galaxie power steering box and pump? my wife has driven my galaxie, easily, and shes tiny (like 4'10") w no issues (aside from visibility...lol) but its got pb, ps.

· Registered
18 Posts
Plenty of options for power steering boxes. I just had to replace mine in my 66 7 Litre and mistakenly ordered the Borgeson unit that had a smooth input shaft, and I needed a splined shaft. I gave Lares Corp a call and they were fantastic to work with, very educational and pointed me to the right unit I needed. Reach out to them for your power steering inquiry.

· Registered
10,534 Posts
Consider the Galaxie was originally designed to permit enjoyable driving from any typical driver, including Granny. High steering effort (assuming the car is moving even a tiny bit) is typically worn-out components, or a poor alignment. Note the alignment is different if you have modern radial tires. I would check those first, as your upgrades should obviously be based on good stuff and good adjustments. Know the foundation you're working from, and go from there. ;)

· Premium Member
6,196 Posts
Seems to me finding brackets that will work with the pump and box would be a challenge, especially if they are not stock items.

· Registered
1,559 Posts
I had a 67 Custom (a Galaxie by any other name) with 289 and manual steering.

Went to the Pick-N-Pull and found a early/mid 70's full size Ford of some kind, with a small block and power steering.

Grabbed the steering box, hoses, pump and brackets, pulleys and even the belt, and simply bolted it all into my 67.

Done.

· Administrator
22,151 Posts
My biggest problem with non power steering was seeing over the dash and getting turned in a tight spot that you could only move maybe a foot at a time before having to turn a little. The most difficult one of those was the '49 Packard ambulance. But moving it was really easy, just had to start turning a little before you got there kinda like if it was a 90 degree turn. Turning from a stop is a bear sometimes! Will see how it goes when I'm finally able and get the nerve up to drive dad's '48 Ford. I'm kinda scared of it just thinking about it! If I could drive that packard I can drive the coupe, only dif is the coupe is 3 on tree. At least it's not a Model T I'd be doomed!! :ROFLMAO: But don't think finding the parts you need for the conversion would be fairly easy. I picked up a new control valve from Red-Head Steering Gears and they probably have the other things needed also. They were local to me kinda is why I chose them but ordering I'm sure there's a few places.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts