Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would swapping to a C4 be any quicker over the 1/4 mile
with 3 gears instead of 2. Also looking to improve my 60ft times best is 1.510 and best time is [email protected] and have 527hp 5900 rpm & 499lbs tq @5000rpm and 4.33 gears with 28/10.5 slicks cheers

·
Registered
945 Posts
Congrats on the new bests Kerry....well done.
I would say in your case the glide would be quicker, primarily because of your light weight. Having the extra gear MIGHT improve your 60' slightly but you may well lose ET due to the extra (trans) drag and shift time.
Who made your converter and what stall? Whats your low gear ratio?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Converter is made by Queensland Converters it's a 4700rpm
Best 60 was bringing the revs up to 2500rpm and just mashing the peddle and shifting at 6700 and crossing the line at about 7000

·
Registered
945 Posts
Can you hold it on the line over 2500revs? 1.73 low?

·
Premium Member
4,414 Posts
Is that as in Qld conv engineering service or QCES??? Reason i ask is i have seen a couple ok converters from them and a couple bad ones..

The car is a capri and only 2470 lb.Seems light.. Anyway with that weight a powerglide will be fine..Don't think you'd gain much with a c4.A converter change might help since the tall first gear relies heavily on the right converter.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Depends on you set-up, Cam, Weight, Ect.

I would agree with the comments made above about convertor selection. If your car is only 2400# the PG is probably the best choice.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dfree383 on 10/9/06 9:25pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Most of the stroker windsors have a pretty wide torque curve. The wide torque curve lends itself to good ET with a 2 speed transmission, especially when the converter is matched to the combination.

I did the PG swap a few years ago. I won't put a 3 speed back in there either, mainly because the PG is SO easy to work with, strong, and it ET's better (both in the 60' and 1/8 mi). Not to mention more consistent especially on marginal tracks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Greg yes it's from Peter at QCES. Was told by another racer if i used a 3spd i would be able to launch harder and keep it higher in the rpm's. As i have the lower 1.73 gears
in the glide i was just curious as what others think

·
Registered
945 Posts
Afraid not, will be in Perth for a nephews wedding....damn it.
I plan to get up there for a meet some time this summer but it will be probably be late in the season. We have definitely "lost" our track down here and have only run a mid winter T&T....which was washed out.
The club is looking at some options but it looks like only some 1/8th "street" racing is all thats going to happen this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts