Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive some good things about the powerjection 3 efi system but its seems like more people go with the stock efi setup. It has me curious to why that is with all these aftermarket efi systems that claim to make it easier to install. Does the stock setup get better mpg? Does it produce more hp? Im going crazy trying to figure out why dont more people go with efi setups like the powerjection 3

·
Premium Member
3,935 Posts
Assuming you add a Quarterhorse or Tweecr, the aftermarket TB based systems are not nearly as adjustable

Other than MSD, they do not control timing

Most do not control the fan and other things a stocker will.

With that being said, they are fine, I have installed a few now, but they just dont compare to a mass airflow system in self correction and mutlitude of options.

They do however use a WB O2 sensor, which is a good thing for easy setup.

In the end, I run a Ford EEC_IV on my Mustang, but I will probably go with an aftermarket TB system on my F100 as it doesnt need all the extras

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
We;ve only used the Projection 111 on the dyno, the 347 will be going back into the car this month.
It was a breeze to set up, power up top, (448hp/408ft.lbs) bout the same but mid range looks to be muchly improved.
On the dyno, throttle response seems to be crisper too,
Can;t wait to get it on the road!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take advantage of the simplicity of the powerjection 3 on the dyno makes perferct sense from an engine builder perspective to use on the dyno. I just didnt understand why more people didnt take advantage of when dropping a motor in their car.

Im in the research part of my efi build(Im doing the mass air flow system) and I only want the bare minimum to get it up and running.

I guess not having the self correction is a big turn off to people.

·
Registered
10,316 Posts
Keep in-mind many of the 'preferred' systems are only because there is info out there for them. You can know almost nothing about EFI and get a good usable setup for your factory EEC with minimal effort and a competitive price. The PIII is relatively big bucks for certain applications but it's easy. Emerald is more capable but requires more work or knowledge. MegaSquirt versions are extremely powerful and dirt cheap yet require even more knowlege, but can do far more than PIII or EEC. The comparisons go on and on.

Which one for you? I would suggest making a very basic list of your specific requirements, including budget, capabilities needed, ease of install, requirement of knowledge, and support if you get 'stuck'. Begin comparing from there.

There are few bad or great units - only ones that are better for certain applications than others. I wouldn't use a PIII or EEC on a 1200hp class drag car. I wouldn't use speed density on a pro hill-climb car. I wouldn't use MAF on a 500hp NA street car. And I wouldn't use a $3000 pro system on a simple backyard carb-to-EFI conversion. See what I mean?

So, If a MAF EEC with a $300 software package does what you need - use it. If a $150 MS1 fills your bill of requirements, then be happy. If you need to flop out $2500 for a 'get 'er done' package, then that's what you need. I will say, that the more you learn for yourself over time, the cheaper it gets by a huge margin. Most of all - have fun with it.

David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts