Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just put a brand new powersteering pump on my 351C. When I touch the steering wheel the Wheel goes nuts turning left-right and when I try to stop it and turn it the way I want to the belts scream. If I let it settle back down the wheel stays still. Touch it and it starts it all over again.
1969 Mustang Mach 1. If I have air in the lines. What would be the best way to bleed it out. Or what else could it be. Thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Jack the front end up off the ground and SLOWLY turn the steering wheel from lock to lock several times with the engine running, this should take care of the problem if you have air in the system.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Take the return line off of the pump and put it in an oil pan. Then turn the wheel slowly from lock to lock while you have someone continuously top off the pump resevoir. You shouldn't need to put much in. This will get rid of the tiny bubbles in the fluid that cause erratic performance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had that same thing happen once when I reversed the lines going into the cylinder. I'm really glad I didn't have my arm in the spokes of the wheel or it would have been broken for sure. Just a thought.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts