Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much a Powerstroke engine weighs? I have been mulling around doing a conversion into my '67 F250 and was wondering how heavy one is.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Some one here might be able to answer that for you....in one of the forums

http://www.ford-diesel.com

the kicker on trying to install a PSD is the engine is all computer controlled. There is no mechanical connection between the accelerator peddle and the engine, the speedo is picked up from a sensor mounted inside the rear axle housing, etc. You would need a donor vehicle to get the wiring and computer and etc.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am aware of the difficulties but I am absolutely fearless and am confident I can overcome these problems.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
May i ask how old you are? I have tackled a lot of things in my life, I am 51, but I don't think this is one I would want to tackle without a lot of help and spare parts handy. And I own a PSD .

·
Registered
314 Posts
With accessories added it weighs close to 1100 lbs. It's a heavy mutha. Take the alt, ps pump, ac off and it's right at 1000 lbs.

Later,
David Cole
69 Mustang Fadstback Drag Car
'01 F-350 Powerstroke dually.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am 44 I have done many swaps and I am employed as a Maintenance Electronics tech at Boeing Airplane CO and am accustomed to working on multi-million dollar robotic and CNC machines and I think I can do this. Besides, nothing ventured, nothing gained!

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
Make sure you get a chip and leave room for the PROPANE tank. With these two mods you're looking at about 350hp and 800lbs/ft at the REAR WHEELS !!!

That would be Smokin' in a 67 Ford.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Horsepower TV did a buildup on a new Dodge Cummins 24 valve inline 6 diesel.

Stock, it made 196hp on their Dynojet.
A chip added 39hp
A 4" mandrel exhaust added 4 more hp.
Propane, larger injectors, and an exhaust temp sensor tied into the computer brought rear wheel power up to 428!

I believe they said all the mods cost around $4000.

Here's the link to the company that makes all the parts. They make them for Ford as well. (Bully Dog)

http://www.bullydog.com/

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Ummm, Chilly, arnt all diesels injected??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts