Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the archives about the Powertrax locking differential. I've got a '61 Falcon with a hopped up 302, T-5Z and 8" with 3.50 gears. It's strictly a street machine, but I like to launch hard and generally hot rod around
I've got an open rear end and definitely want to get some sort of Trac-loc type device. I'm looking into the Powertrax. Does anyone have one in their car, and would they recommend it for a street driven car? Pros and cons and all that? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I too have been thinking of one of the Soft locs and would like to know what everyone thinks of them. how do they do in the wet and around corners?

·
Registered
160 Posts
My Power Trax does good, it takes it awhile to break in. It's been like 1,000 miles and still not all the way broke in. I have there limited slip one. Works realy good into coners though.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MasterD, what type of PowerTrax diff did you get, the SofLoc? When you say it takes a while to break in, I wonder how you can tell when it's broken in. Is it when the diff gets quieter? Also, how easy (or difficult) was it to install? I know the FM archives have a step-by-step description of it, but I wonder if the typical garage mechanic can do it by himself. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I installed one last year in my 69 cougar. I got their latest one I believe it was $400. It came complete unlike the one that Ford Muscle installed. I absolutely love it. Mine never made any noise and I don't know anything about having to break it in. It worked the second I drove it. The instructions were good and I installed it myself. I don't drive the car in the rain so I can't comment on that. The only thing I have noticed is that you have to accelerate lightly around a tight right turn or both wheels will be locked. Like turning right at a stop sign. But it sure will lay out 2 nice tire marks went you feel the need!!!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have the no-slip in my mach1. It works great around corners and gives quite a kick right when you get out of them. It rained on me once and all you need to do is just don't punch it or you get no traction, but I don't have the best all weather tires either...but I definitely am pleased with the unit.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've had mine a year and am taking it back out and going to the Auburn Pro posi unit. If you like to drag race and have any wheel hop, the Powertrax can't take it. It bangs constantly over bumps too. I wouldn't recommend it. I've controlled my wheel hop now, but any sudden jerking at take-off and the unit will un-couple and bang back in.
Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts