Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My shortblock will be going together tomorrow, I will post pics

Does anyone know of a good cleaner to use to clean the block? I need something that will not affect the glyptal, I already made the mistake of letting brake cleaner come in contact with it and I ended up repainting.

water is probably my best option but I want to know what you guys use? also, is it a good idea to run pipe cleaners through all of the oil passages? I flushed everthing with water and blew it out with compressed air, I can't imagine anything would be stuck in there. If so, where can I buy those at? I was thinking home depot might have them.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Tide and lots of hot water, use the engine brushes definitely you,d be amazed at what is in the oil passages that you'll loosen up. Rinse well and blow dry then wd40 the surfaces if your gonna let it sit for any lengh of time

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Every time I've used WD40 the thing rusts faster and worse than as if it wasn't coated at all. Trans fluid works the best, IMO. Put it in a squirt bottle and spray it all over the surfaces that aren't painted.

I like to use hot soapy water. HOT. Rinse with HOT water. The surfaces usually dry within 10 minutes max.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I used castrol super clean and boy does clean, but its so harsh that rust was forming just as I blew it off. WD-40 is able to lift that flash rust off though.
I should have used a detergent soap or tide etc. Wd-40 will work fine to protect it unless your going to let it sit uncoverd for months in a damp enviroment.
Bag your oiled block imediately after your done to keep off the dust etc.
Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
if you don't want to use the brushes from summit go to walmart and get a gun cleaning kit. there only about $10. for assorted shotgun sizes. brake cleaner works best but soap and water will work fine. if the block starts to rust quickly you know you've got it clean. clean all oil passages until nothing comes out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.