Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed I have a lot of air pressure build up in my gas tank. When I take the cap off there is a large burst of air that comes out.

Is this a simple problem, as in my gas cap isn't venting properly and I need to replace it? Or is something else going on???

The worst part is, the pressure found a weak spot on my tank that was lined with the POR gas tank lining and now I have a leak to fix.

·
Registered
390 Posts
You got to get a vented gas cap. When you get one check it out. A friend of mine started his car and the engine went crazy and blew hole in his piston. He didn't know what caused the engine blew. He searched out everything and just checked the gas cap and when he removed it the pressure was so high it blew the cap off in his hand. The car was setting outside in the summer heat. The cap was not vented.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
63-4 don't have a vent tube. thats why the vented cap. it should have a pressure relief built into it
Is there a vent for the tank on a 1965, or just the cap?

·
Registered
841 Posts
66 tank does not have a vent tube, only a vented cap. They stock that cap at Autozone so getting one shouldn't be a problem. Locking even.

The only inlet/oulets on my tank at the return (former feed), the feed (sumped AN fitting) and the filler neck. I only added the sump.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts