Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

81 - 97 of 97 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
thanks guys ...

1st .. These rockers wont be on long and wont see maybe 10hr's use.

Im funds limmited right now. Ive spent a ton of dough ray me this summer on this project and I just need to get it done and running.

Rockers are easy to swap out. They seem pretty good as far as cheap rockers go. they have end stands ect and no clips to fail on the ends. But yea have that cheap feel...
Smith brothers got me figured out. He walked me through and we came up with another number for the pushrods. very spendy I thought but,whatever ...9.335 I think was the number.

Im going to prime her up this weekend with zink aditive and rotella oil .. shake the zink into the oil first to mix it up good ...

I wanna watch and be sure the top end is getting the correct amount of oil. Being I have the lifter gallerys plugged and the heads restricted with a jet.

Next will be getting my new dizzy,msd 9585 installed and alum water pump. Then the new 3,000rpm stall.... Getting closer every day ...

thanks
You SURE a stock pushrod wont work? They are pretty decent, might save you some cash

Also, be VERY careful if he goes any larger diameter pushrod, big pushrods are good, but in an FE if they rub the pushrod holes in the intake, you'll eat a cam during break in before you havea chance to even think about it. Look very closely, they cant run at all, especially tight at full lift, if it binds, it sticks a lifter for a second and then it stops spinning. CRUCIAL to check it close on an FE

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
yes stock pushrods would work ! only found that out after checking with napa, lol ...

for some dumb reason many places list the stock pushrods with many differant sizes. even napa sells a performance and a stock. Both are differant length ! WTF .... The stock size I found a couple of times on the net was to short for my liking,somthing like 9.155 .... I ordered 9.600 from smith and they wont be here untill thursday friday. I just bought the napa ones and they will be here in the morning. I will save the smith for my good set of rockers when I get them. the napa ones are 9.533. This should be perfect.

I plan on firing it up on the test stand this weekend. I primed it and got the zink and oil in it. she pumped up real nice. Only thing I did see is oil squished out from the rocker stands some. Im thinking I need to fix this. maybe o-ring the rocker stand side. pretty simple and effective. I also primed it with no restricters in and wow she got oily quick .. the cam gear got full of oil and looked real nice. The timming chain is still dry. I m not sure it should be wet yet ? yes no ?

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
yes stock pushrods would work ! only found that out after checking with napa, lol ...

for some dumb reason many places list the stock pushrods with many differant sizes. even napa sells a performance and a stock. Both are differant length ! WTF .... The stock size I found a couple of times on the net was to short for my liking,somthing like 9.155 .... I ordered 9.600 from smith and they wont be here untill thursday friday. I just bought the napa ones and they will be here in the morning. I will save the smith for my good set of rockers when I get them. the napa ones are 9.533. This should be perfect.

I plan on firing it up on the test stand this weekend. I primed it and got the zink and oil in it. she pumped up real nice. Only thing I did see is oil squished out from the rocker stands some. Im thinking I need to fix this. maybe o-ring the rocker stand side. pretty simple and effective. I also primed it with no restricters in and wow she got oily quick .. the cam gear got full of oil and looked real nice. The timming chain is still dry. I m not sure it should be wet yet ? yes no ?
I would go back and look to see that all your rocker studs are tight. Two machined surfaces shouldn't leak, especially without much resistance after the stands.

Hopefully you didnt pull the threads out, I have seen the stock Edelbrock helicoils pull out before if you arent careful to back off the rockers, or at least tighten evenly around the tight springs.

I havent head of anyone having to o-ring, look close for cracks or a bad helicoil.

You used studs right? Stock bolts will be too long in one hole on each side.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I found the problem, the stock edelbrock head where they drilled the oil hole had a burr. I debured it and all is good.

Yes I have the studs for the heads. I used lock tight in the heads and on the nut'z

Today I got the entire motor together. its ready to fire up.... tomara Im planning on bolting the tranny up and firing it up ... hopfully every thing goes well ...

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Good luck!

I am finishing up the 445 long block for my F100 tomorrow. A little milder build than yours, but should hit the upper 400's

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
IT's ALIVE !!!!! I fired it up today and it runs ....

I primed the fuel,primed the oil and double checked the timing .... It turned over for about 5 seconds and sounded blah... I hooked the ignition up incorrectly..(Damn it) ... changed it and it fired right up and ran good ! I twisted the timing to 25-30 and let her run at about 2,500rpm while the oil/newness burned off every thing .... it ran for about a solid 15 min's and I stabbed the throttle a few times during to get the oil flinging ect .... It has 75psi oil at about 2g and goes higher when reved up some... I turned the idle down to about 800 rpm and it idled at about 25-30psi hot.... turned up to 1,000 rpm and it held 45psi hot. So Im thinking every thing is good to go .... I didnt mess whith any tuning being I dont want to let it idle yet .. One more 15min run in the morning and then I will tear it back apart and put the springs back on and retorque the heads ect ... soon I will be installing it back in the car ....

Quick question ...What valve covers do you prefer ? what cover gaskets do you like ? I had a small leak on my covers (new cork) Switched them out to my rubber ones and they still seem to leak ... Im running them on my tin powered by ford covers.. there super nice but,tin ... Im thinking maybe its time to switch to a cast ect .....

Thanks everyone for all your help !!!!! I owe ya ......

·
Premium Member
3,806 Posts
Look close at the intake gasket where it meets the valve cover. I use a Roloc disk or a Dremel and cut it back after the intake is torqued. Sometimes it can stock up and cut the gasket, or at least hold it up

I like a cork gasket, glued to the valve cover with yellow 3 M w-strip adhesive, then I put a litt bitty blob of RTV right where the intake/head meet if there is a little mismatch

Usually seals up real easy and the gaskets tend to be good for 4-5 off and on before they get crushed too much

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds nice.
Good to hear that it's running well.

There is a lot of stuff in this thread that is pretty informative, and a lot that is simply "entertaining".

Enjoy the engine, and let us know how it runs once you have the car out and get some time with it.

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Its in the car and running ... just need to finish up the detail work ......

Bartlett racing stroker start up. - YouTube
That sounds great! Nice throttle response too. I wonder what mine will be like with the dual quads on it. I am glad to see what I have to look forward to once my 431 stroker (Scat kit) is done and back in my '67 Galaxie XL. You brought a real smile to my face with this thread! awesome process. Thanks for the insight guys.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
SWEEEEEEEETTTTTT!!! Sounds great. I'd have to terrorize the neighborhood before I corked it up.... ;)

·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Been a couple months, Battle, just wondering if you are satisfied that it was worth it. Tough question to be open-minded about after dropping over three grand on it, but inquiring minds want to know - the good, the bad and the ugly!

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
sorry missed this last post,

Yea so far Im happy. I dont have much time on it yet but it runs cool, its plenty fast. has gob's of power. starts real good with stock style starter.

Cons:

zero related to the engine build,

Things I would do differant, I would use less stall, less gear or over drive. The motor has plenty of lowend to overcome less stall. maybe a 2,500 insted of the 3,500.. and maybe a 3:25 gear or 3:50 insted of 3:70's Shes runs alittle to fast at 65 for my liking and or needs.. It will spin posi at a 10mph and go right to redline.. with BFG tires. so yea it could be geared up some for a street car.

Motor mounts, The poly solid mount vibrate ! alittle more at idle and at some speeds... I have to cure that ! Im anal...

hopfully this helps someones build ....

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am planning a similar build and have a couple of questions. Besides changing springs what work if any was done to the heads? Have you measured vacuum at
idle? Is it enough to support a brake booster? OK that's 3 questions

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #96 (Edited)
I cleaned up the heads alittle,very little,used a holley jet in the oil passage. I used a comp cam 294s cam and the vacuum at idle is around 10-11 so a no go on brakes unless you run a pump like I do. oh and it idles pretty smooth for a good sized cam ..I do run my idle around 1,100 for good oiling. it will idle down and sound like a huge cam , lmaoooo

81 - 97 of 97 Posts