Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DID ANYONE KNOW ANYTHING ABT THESE PRO COMP ALUMINUM HEAD. I SEE THEM ALL OVER EBAY AND I WAS WONDERING IF ANYONE HAD USED THEM AND IF THEY ARE ANY GOOD. I ONLY HEARD ON 1 GUY THAT USED THEM AND HE HAD WORLD PRODUCT HEADS ON HIS MOTOR THAT RAN 11.42 IN THE 1/4 AND THEN PUT ON THE PRO COMP ALUMINUM HEADS AND WENT 11.77 IN THE 1/4. JUST WONDERING IF ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCED A PROBLEM LIKE THAT
THANKS
MARC

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
WHat a tard... He Means to SEARCH this site for all posts relating to the heads that you are referring to!
There are probably5 or 10 diffrent threads on these heads with multiple posts in reply to each one...

Hit the search button and look for them is what he is saying.

AND SAY OFF THE FRIGGIN CAPITOL LETTERS!

·
Registered
460 Posts
The "All Ford Tech" area would be better if you can't find anything usefull after your search.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We just put a set on a 408 and had nothing but problems. Thought we had head gasket issues and come to find out it was a bad casting in the water jacket. After having this problem and doing some researech on them. There was a comment that if there was not a market for CHEAP parts we would not be in bussiness. That should tell you something. We are trying to get pro comp to help with this issue and will post later on the out come.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
like he said, search the tech board, i havent heard one good thing about them, and many many bad things, terrible quality, junk basically.

·
Subscriber
888 Posts
I have a 424W going together right now using Pro Comp 210's. So far, everything looks real good on my set. I had the matching Comp Cams valve springs to my cam installed and the machine shop didn't see any problems. Hopefully we can get it to the dyno next week. I'll let you know how it goes!

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Just my 2cents . . . . . .

I have been running a set of 210's for a couple of years now with no problems. I did have some initial problems with the pushrod tube holes, but once I machined them out and installed 1.7 ratio rockers, all was fine.

I used bare ProComp heads and added good valves, springs, retainers, keepers, studs and guide plates. That is the best way to get them to work properly.

About the only thing that is still screwy with mine is that it is nearly impossible to get the valve cover gasket to seal 100%. I have had the best luck with doubling up cork gaskets.

I made close to 80 drag passes this year, plus 2000 street miles without an issue. I have a .600 solid lift cam that requires 450 lbs open on the springs and I have spun the motor up to 6500 numerous times. Best time was [email protected]

I would never recommend the ProComp heads to anyone. Although they seem like a deal and can be made to work, there are certainly better choices of heads available.

I think I have outgrown mine and am going to do an upgrade. I recently traded for some 205 AFR's and will hopefully will be able to do a valid performance comparison.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Oh god... AFR 205's.... the bug has bitten you!
With those heads and some better 60 foots... man, low 11's possible high 10's I smell.
:eek:

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
At the moment I still want to maintain my 11.5 second goal. Being 6'3 and 53 years old (when race season starts again), kind of steers me away from a cage. To bad a 4 point isn't worth a crap (at least that is what I believe.)

The heads should at least keep me in the 11's during the hot part of the summer when the staging lanes seem unbearable. I've always felt that the ProComp heads were the weakest link of my engine combo and have been waiting on a good deal to turn up. I got the AFR 205's as a trade for some toploader parts--the price was certainly right considering I used to buy complete toploaders for $20-50.

I figure if I get too fast (I could only wish!), I'll back off on the rear gear which will make this thing even more streetable with the toploader. I've got a set of original Ford 3:70's, 3:55's, and a 3:50. I also have access to a set of Richmond 3:89's.

We'll just need to see where life leads me as my plans seem to change daily . . . . .

·
Registered
192 Posts
http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/home-porting-cylinder-heads/462974-porting-pro-comp-heads.html

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/home-porting-cylinder-heads/459163-burned-pro-comp-junk.html

Here is a couple of informative treads about Pro Comps.

Exactly a year ago I was thinking the same, to order or not, are they junk?

Well, I did order them, spend "some" time with them and Dremel. I got about 3500 miles with heavy foot ;) , some Drag racing, and two open track events. And they still work without any problems.

Although I have to say the out put of the mill has not satisfied me, yet. More about that on dyno forums:

http://www.fordmuscle.com/forums/dyno-board/466940-dyno-tested-mild-351w.html

I have now gotten rid of my old 650dp, changed it to a new 700dp, without extra costs... New exhaust coming, new intake filter assembly, Mallory 6AL... Hopefully getting more of these heads...

AND thanks to Dennis111, for giving some info a year ago :)

·
Subscriber
888 Posts
Interesting threads there! All I did to my Pro Comp 210's was clean up the runners and gasket match them to my intake and headers (I punched out the header gaskets to match up to my Hooker Super Comps and then matched the exhaust runners to the gaskets). Just the gasket matching opened them up considerably. Other than that, I just lightly cleaned up the chambers. The pushrod holes seem fine, and the machine shop that assembled them with my valve springs said everything looks fine. I guess we'll see very soon! My 424W is completely assembled and waiting to get on the dyno hopefully next week after the holiday!

·
Subscriber
888 Posts
WOW! Thanks for the link Scott. In all fairness, I don't know anything about the people who put that article together and Dennis' 11.72 time @ 116.92mph with his Windsor using Pro Comp 210's is certainly respectable, but it does raise my concern over my set of Pro Comp 210's! Since my engine is together and ready for the dyno, I'm certainly going to go ahead and dyno it as is. But if my 424W doesn't clear the 500hp mark with similar torque numbers, then I will know that something is wrong!!! Now I know what component I will change first if it doesn't put up good numbers!!!
Another thing to consider if you are trying to save money on your engine build is that if you have to pay someone else to do your port-matching and clean up the runners, then you probably could have bought a set of AFR's or atleast Vic Jr.'s for the same investment! I was able to do my own port work so I have under $800 total tied up in my set fully assembled. We'll see very soon (hopefully this coming week) if my Pro Comps were truly a bargain!!!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
2000? for valves to put on procomps... Mine was 498$, with the valves...

...But it was a chebby engibe... lol

·
Subscriber
888 Posts
2000? for valves to put on procomps... Mine was 498$, with the valves...

...But it was a chebby engibe... lol
I was referring to what you would have to pay a shop to port and polish a set of heads. Especially Pro Comps since the castings tend to be rough. I would imagine that by the time you bought the heads, paid someone to do the port work and match them to the intake, clean up the chambers and exhaust ports, and then assemble them with the valves, springs, etc. you could easily end up with $1500.00 in them! For that money you might be better off buying a set of Vic Jr.'s for around $1300.00 or springing for a set of AFR's and just running them "out of the box".
What is the going rate for port work these days?

1 - 20 of 161 Posts