Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

141 - 160 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
6 tenths of a second may mean nothing to you but to any body that runs at our local track .6 of a second is a worth while gain! Especially when the new heads were cheaper than the old ones they replaced!
More telling would be changes in trap speed. Even with no other changes to the combo differences in the weather can account for a lot as well. With that said, I would hope that a CNC ported head would outperform a cast head.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
6 tenths of a second may mean nothing to you but to any body that runs at our local track .6 of a second is a worth while gain! Especially when the new heads were cheaper than the old ones they replaced!
hello;

.6 is a lot but you are missing the point and did not answer my questions.

if the guy took off 180 cc heads and bolted on cnc'd 210 heads and had a monster cam that was restricted by the other heads then the thing better run faster but if he had eddy 190 cc heads and he bolted on unported pro comp 190 cc heads and went .6 faster than that's a totally different story but that is NOT what happened because it is impossible, lol. the way you posted your comment you made them sound like a miracle head.

the pro comps flow less than ANY other head out there with the same size runners.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
Some people buy "cheap" and then try really hard to justify their "great deal"... while others bone up and buy quality. One rarely regrets buying quality parts. They're generally worth the price difference in the long run. Cylinder heads will make or break an engine combo. It's not a place to try to save a few bucks.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
some people buy "cheap" and then try really hard to justify their "great deal"... While others bone up and buy quality. One rarely regrets buying quality parts. They're generally worth the price difference in the long run. Cylinder heads will make or break an engine combo. It's not a place to try to save a few bucks.

Good luck!

/\ /\ /\ /\ This!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Here's some numbers for my pro comp heads that I had ported and a valve job done and assembled with quality parts. 210/60cc. Hope you enjoy!
Did you do a before and after cc of the ports? Also what are your plans for them? What did you do to get the total up to 1800+? New valves? Studs? What did the casting look like? I have never owned a set of aluminum heads before but I honestly didn't think mine looked that bad. However, they definitely need a bowl port and the pushrod tube impinges on the port to a significant degree. Finally, the short side radius looks like a cliff. Mine were milled .030 over and I cc'd the heads and they are roughly 57.5cc. There was less roughness to the casting than I had been led to believe. I still haven't checked everything as I intend to install them this winter. I will continue to run my OLD wolverine blue racer solid flat tappet. I will update when I build a stroker. Please update us if you run these at the track!

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, after a long time a Post from my Side.

Getting the Hands again on my 69 Cougar.

After reworking my Engine last Winter (maybe some of you remember the issue on my hyraulic lifters with no oil going through the pushrods) and after getting it solved i ´am now quite satisfied with the performance of my 351W.

(Flat Top Pistons 10:1 , 272° Crane Came,HEI Dizzy, 69 Cast Iron Heads with 1.7 Roller Tip Rockers and slighty improved Ports (Gasket Matching), 700 Holley DP, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, 1" Spacer and Long Tube Headers, i am able to run the Car in the high 13 seconds region now (3.91 Rear and T5z Tranny).

After thinkg of more Performance i ´ve made my decision for another step in the coming winter. I bought ASSEMBLED ProComp Heads with the 210 Runners and 60cc Chambers (2.02 and 1.60 Valves also). The Heads came from the UK, so it was more affordable for me (low P&P and NO additional taxes for getting them to Germany)....over all i paid around 700U$ inkl. p&p to my door...

The Heads make a very good impression to me ,(good casting, well made machining(threads , surfaces etc.)
but i will make also some improvements (slightly Polish the Ports for more flow, but only on the surface , then getting some washers under the valvesprings to protect the Head surface), also checking all valves for a clean and tight, centered seat surface (checked already the possibilty for a lack, but ALL Valves were holding fuel(as a test fluid) after filling it into the channels/ports.... so this should be fine.

The Engine will be also upgraded by a new camshaft, and my decision is going to a hydraulic roller cam (something in the 2000-6500rpm Powerrange because of the Std. 351w Bottom Engine i don´t want to rev it higher).

My Goal ist to achieve 400+ HP...What do ya think ?

P.S. The guys who know me already, know that 20 Years Experience in Engine Building will lift me over the "Horror Issues of the PC Heads", and i´m quite confident to get bad things sorted out, .....IF there are some !

Regards
Mark :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
So, after a long time a Post from my Side.

Getting the Hands again on my 69 Cougar.

After reworking my Engine last Winter (maybe some of you remember the issue on my hyraulic lifters with no oil going through the pushrods) and after getting it solved i ´am now quite satisfied with the performance of my 351W.

(Flat Top Pistons 10:1 , 272° Crane Came,HEI Dizzy, 69 Cast Iron Heads with 1.7 Roller Tip Rockers and slighty improved Ports (Gasket Matching), 700 Holley DP, Edelbrock Performer RPM Intake, 1" Spacer and Long Tube Headers, i am able to run the Car in the high 13 seconds region now (3.91 Rear and T5z Tranny).

After thinkg of more Performance i ´ve made my decision for another step in the coming winter. I bought ASSEMBLED ProComp Heads with the 210 Runners and 60cc Chambers (2.02 and 1.60 Valves also). The Heads came from the UK, so it was more affordable for me (low P&P and NO additional taxes for getting them to Germany)....over all i paid around 700U$ inkl. p&p to my door...

The Heads make a very good impression to me ,(good casting, well made machining(threads , surfaces etc.)
but i will make also some improvements (slightly Polish the Ports for more flow, but only on the surface , then getting some washers under the valvesprings to protect the Head surface), also checking all valves for a clean and tight, centered seat surface (checked already the possibilty for a lack, but ALL Valves were holding fuel(as a test fluid) after filling it into the channels/ports.... so this should be fine.

The Engine will be also upgraded by a new camshaft, and my decision is going to a hydraulic roller cam (something in the 2000-6500rpm Powerrange because of the Std. 351w Bottom Engine i don´t want to rev it higher).

My Goal ist to achieve 400+ HP...What do ya think ?

P.S. The guys who know me already, know that 20 Years Experience in Engine Building will lift me over the "Horror Issues of the PC Heads", and i´m quite confident to get bad things sorted out, .....IF there are some !

Regards

Nobody?

·
Registered
22 Posts
which camshaft will you be using?
are you aiming for 400 at the crank or at the wheels?
and how do you think the t5z will handle that?

·
Registered
111 Posts
Looking for 400hp at the crank....

Specs will be for the Cam:
Cam Style: Hydraulic roller tappet
Basic Operating RPM Range: 2,500-6,000
Intake Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230
Exhaust Duration at 050 inch Lift: 236
Duration at 050 inch Lift: 230 int./236 exh.
Advertised Intake Duration: 282
Advertised Exhaust Duration: 289
Advertised Duration: 282 int./289 exh.
Intake Valve Lift with Factory
Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.513 in.
Exhaust Valve Lift with Factory
Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.529 in.
Valve Lift with Factory Rocker Arm Ratio: 0.513 int./0.529 exh.
Lobe Separation (degrees): 110
P.S If Valve/Piston Clearance will be alright, i will be using 1.7er Roller Tip Rockers with that mentioned Cam ,that should make another HP-Gain ;)

T5z should take it....will not Race the Car allday with Slicks, Street Tires should smoke ;)

Regards
Mark

·
Registered
22 Posts
sounds very doable with the heads and cam.
i'd even say that you're shooting for the 450 region...

my 11.1/e303/afr185/347 stroker put 387 to the wheels, the guys from jacobi/nos2.de dynoed the car in oberhausen this year.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Update:

Just bought the Camshaft (is on its way), but made a slight change, final Specs are:
Hydraulic Roller Camshaft Kit (incl. Lifters)

Power Range,IdleQuality/Special requirements
2500-6000 RPM
Street/strip; fair idle, good mid-range power, 2,500-3,000 rpm stall converter or 5-speed. 3.55 and higher gear. Calibrated mass airflow meter required. Compression 9.5:1 minimum.

Valve Lift
Int/Exh .542/.563

Duration Adv.
Int/Exh 293°/290°

Duration at .050"
Int/Exh 224°/232°

Lobe Centerline 112°
What do ya think could be achieved ?
(See my other Specs (Engine)in the Post below.....)

Thanks and Regards

·
Registered
70 Posts
I think you will find that most do not have a favorable impression of the Procomp (or any of the other Chinese knockoff) heads. The fear that most have is 1).will the seats stay in the heads, 2).are the valve centerlines where they are supposed to be, and 3). will they make as much power as a similarly sized head.

I hope you have good luck and report back on your results as we need feedback on the Procomps based on ACTUAL experience. Pro comp or not 210 cc is a fairly big port compared to the Windsor heads you had. I would also want to actually measure the chamber to make sure you have as much compression as you think you have. You should make your 400 at the crank.

Please report back with results after you get it going. Good luck.
Larry

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think you will find that most do not have a favorable impression of the Procomp (or any of the other Chinese knockoff) heads. The fear that most have is 1).will the seats stay in the heads, 2).are the valve centerlines where they are supposed to be, and 3). will they make as much power as a similarly sized head.

I hope you have good luck and report back on your results as we need feedback on the Procomps based on ACTUAL experience. Pro comp or not 210 cc is a fairly big port compared to the Windsor heads you had. I would also want to actually measure the chamber to make sure you have as much compression as you think you have. You should make your 400 at the crank.

Please report back with results after you get it going. Good luck.
Larry
I don't think any body that buys a set of pro comp heads For 600 are expecting to get the same performance out of them that you will get out of a set of 2000 dollar AFR heads! I have seen them out perform a set of World products Windsor jr heads that cost twice as much!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I ended up buying the flotek heads for about that and they did not look bad for the money. The ports were a bit smaller than stated when I measured them and ended up about 180ccs after I sleeved the pushrod holes and eliminated the bulge. I also had them milled to about 50cc for more compression. The only problem I had was that I did not have the best rocker alignment with the guide plates they came with and replaced them with comp adjustables. That could happen with any head probably. I am only expecting them to be better than the stock heads I took off and so far I am very pleased!

141 - 160 of 161 Posts