Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm doing a budget 302 build for my 240Z and planned to use some M6049E351(Windsor Sr) heads which were on my Morris a few years ago. I thought the heads were good to go but noticed most of the intake valves need replacing. So, it's either spend about $400 to freshen up the heads or get something else. Has anybody actually used Pro Comp aluminium heads and had the motor survive more than a trip around the block?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-ASSEMBLED-PRO-ALUMINUM-SB-FORD-HEADS-210cc-TMD_W0QQitemZ170006097339QQihZ007QQcategoryZ33617QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Just my 2 cents but you get what you pay for, I would avoid the Chinese stuff and look at a new set of Darts, Brodix, Edlebrocks, Canfields ect. or just spent the $400 freshing yours up and least you know what you have.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I got back reports from 2 guys using them, they all said the geometry was good concerning valvetrain and they all were please, no modifications needed I cant comment on how long the guides and seats last though. Suprisingly I havent heard many horror stories at all. Alot of people brake the **** themselves and blame others.

·
Registered
659 Posts
I like mine, Been working fine. No problems everything machined to fit.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Pro Comp. Not Pro Top Line.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 7/19/06 3:24pm ]</font>

·
Registered
5,030 Posts
Running Pro Comps 210's on the 393--they run great.

They need pocket ported because the area just under the valve seat extends too much into the port. The picture in the link you included shows this too.

Best to buy them bare and add good parts, although the TMD ones look like they have better springs than the puny 1.5" that cam with mine originally.

65' Stang

393W Stroker, Wide Toploader 4 Spd, 9" 3:70 Posi

Victor Jr. Heads, Vic Jr. Intake, 750dp, 236/561 Solid Cam, 9.6CR, 1 3/4" Headers, Lakewood, Subframes, Caltracs

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dennis111 on 7/19/06 7:20pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I'm leaning towards just freshening up the old heads for now but it's nice to know the Pro Comp heads have been used sucessfully. Powerhouse sells some low cost aluminium heads that seem pretty similar to Pro Comps. http://shop.enginekits.com/osb/itemdetails.cfm?ID=2933 The motor has a Comp 282S cam and the eyebrows of the stock 302 pistons had to be enlarged to clear the 2.02 intakes of the Windsor Sr heads so 2.05 valves are not going to work.

Nate is right,Pro Comp and Pro Top Line are not the same thing. RHS (Comp Cams) sells Pro Top Lines.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Just Jim on 7/20/06 12:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I got some new Manley Race Flo 2.02 valves with undercut stems and took the heads in for freshening up. The Windsor heads were previously milled to 55cc which should work fine with the stock 302 pistons other than cutting the intake valve eyebrows larger. Cast iron heads sure are heavier than aluminum though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts