Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well you really can't get something for nothing I recently found out the hard way! got all my stuff ready for 347 to go to machine shop to be put together and guess what ,those $498 a pair bare vic jr knock offs are JUNK !just as some of you tried to tell me
but your warnings fell on deaf CHEAP ears.when the machine shop called tues with what shoud have been the come get it ,its ready call ,it turned into the we got problems ,can you return these heads call.all the seats were uneven and the pushrods are going to be at some weird angle .i was sick.Its only money ,right!

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That sucks big time but you get what you pay for. I'm guessing you can't return them??

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Man that sucks =/.

I've heard so much good and bad about these heads. More good...but the bad's always REALLY bad =(. Makes a person really wish that the actual resellers would start doing some quality control. Who did you buy them from? Will they accept an exchange? I know a lot of people who use them with no problems. But it seem common on these Chinese parts. The ones that have problems are easily visible or simple to find anyhow...if the reseller just took a few minutes to go over them with a set of calipers etc. Or even go over them period. I've talked to Pro Comp, they sell those things for NOTHING to their resellers...a little once over wouldn't cost them anything.

I'm hoping my pair are in good shape when I get them, because I bought them from a member here, rather than off ebay or through Hawks etc. He said he bought them through Tri State, so we'll see. If they're trash (he wouldn't know...he bought them and never used em...they've been sitting a year or so) that will suck, but I'm sure they'll be repairable...just might cost a bit more money. Tri State seems to go over their stuff...as does PBM, and a few others. Again, guess we'll see.

Hope your stuff works out, and you're able to get a new set. I'd raise holy hell with the company I bought them from lol.

Anyhow, good luck man.

Cris

·
Registered
237 Posts
tri-state does a real good job with their stuff checks everything push rod holes everything kinda makes you wonder how those cleveland heads are.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
That's what I'm thinking too! I know if you pick them up from Ebay from one of the no name resellers, you're mostly out of luck =/. PBM Strike Force, Alexsparts, and a few others will stand behind their parts, from what I've heard. The sad part is, they ALL know there's a chance there will be problems, but they just sell them and sell them and sell them...and the majority do nothing if there's an issue =(.

Cris

·
Registered
237 Posts
btw guys it just depends on where you get those heads from tristate has both iron and aluminum versions and they do a very thourgh check on the heads both bare and assembled i had a set that was bare and when i had them assembled by a machine shop near me the guy who put them together asked where i got them and i told where and his reply was thats some of the nicest he had seen all he had to do was just hone the guides very little the day i posted them here they where gone and the person who purchased them was very pleased with what he got and again like i said it just depends on where you get them from some people care about what they sell and some people are out to just make a quick money deal and hell with your problem then so the ones i had was really nice when they was assembled no problems here i just got to where i dont have time to mess with cars anymore working 14-16 hrs a day really dont allow for it at all.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i got them from the mustang depot in calif. the resellers were very nice and helpful .when the heads arrived they looked GREAT,all the holes were there all the techs in the shop (i work in 12 bay FIR#$tone store) said they looked good too,then i took them to the machine shop and all the little stuff that makes afr worth every freakin dime became apparent all too soon! you can buy em now or you will buy em later !

·
Registered
991 Posts
Not surprised really. People wonder why they have to cut and re-nitride those cheap china mystery metal cranks. They wonder why it takes 300+ dollars to balance there 700 dollar china stroker kits etc etc etc.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
post pics of the flaws. there's nothing better than using the internet to expose poor product.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikelonis on 9/11/06 4:00am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
281 Posts
Scary stuff...
I plan to purchase a BARE set of Strike Force from "Fantasy Engines and Parts" within the next week. I spoke to the machinist and he was very accommodating with my special requests. I'm also purchasing a set of titanium valves, retainers, and locks instead of their parts that come with the assembled heads.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Hmmm seats are uneven?
Well tell the shop to put a stone to it?
Mine are fine , My shop was amazed at the quality of them.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
On 2006-09-10 10:00, cammerstang65 wrote:
btw guys it just depends on where you get those heads from tristate has both iron and aluminum versions and they do a very thourgh check on the heads both bare and assembled i had a set that was bare and when i had them assembled by a machine shop near me the guy who put them together asked where i got them and i told where and his reply was thats some of the nicest he had seen all he had to do was just hone the guides very little the day i posted them here they where gone and the person who purchased them was very pleased with what he got and again like i said it just depends on where you get them from some people care about what they sell and some people are out to just make a quick money deal and hell with your problem then so the ones i had was really nice when they was assembled no problems here i just got to where i dont have time to mess with cars anymore working 14-16 hrs a day really dont allow for it at all.
Oh my! Not again!!! You're talking about PRO TOPLINE. They made them in aluminum and iron. That was a company that made very good chevy heads and went belly up after introducing a sbf head called the cyclones. They were then bought by Comp Cams and are now called RHS at a much higher price. No suprise there were no problems!

This thread is about the Vic Jr. knock off. They are called PRO COMP. Lets all make sure we're on the same page!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 289nate on 9/11/06 12:49pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
289nate =)

I bought the heads from cammerstang65, lol...they're Pro Comps, not Pro Toplines. Tri State's been selling the Victor Jr. knockoffs for quite a while now.

Cris

Edit

Also, just a FYI, Pro Comp Electronics does offer an iron version of these heads...if that's where the confusion is coming from.

http://www.procompelectronics.com

Edit

Bleh, just checked the link, and it doesn't show the iron versions....well they sell them in the catalog =).

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 9/11/06 12:54pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Is1BadFord on 9/11/06 12:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Yes, the iron version is what confused me. Tri State was one of the last places to sell the Pro Toplines which were available in iron and aluminum. These were a good head from a good company.

Have never heard of any iron head from Pro Comp. That's where I am confused.

Pro Topline and Pro Comp used to be confused all the time.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
How about that!

Sorry!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts