Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This months issue of Car Craft has an article about converting a toploader to pro shifting. Okay, I am not the brightest and I will admit that upfront, what exactly is pro-shifting? I am thinking it is upshifting without the clutch, with a momentary release of the throttle, is this correct?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I'am not sure what they call pro-shifting.
I might be when you get rid of the syn in the trans and weld a differant typ onto the gear
we race our 4-spd toploader almost every weekend in never sees the street and we built it stock it has ran for the last 3 years never failed us yet. and we use the clutch in every shift but the gas peddle never leaves the metal you know old saying
peddle to the metal no bottle
Alan

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Take the synchronizer(spelling) rings out, take2 of 3 synchro teeth off the gear and then remove every secong tooth from the slider. Your tranny is now proshifted.
Works great upshifting because the slider can get into engagement much easier. Absolutly sucks for downshifting.

·
Registered
120 Posts
-I am thinking it is upshifting without the clutch, with a momentary release of the throttle, is this correct?
Yes, it´s correct.
I´m using a V-gate shifter with my Dough Nash pro-shift since the only way this will work is with very fast and distinct shifts.
V-gate sucks for downshifting.
Othervise down shifts works with fast shifts.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Mario spelled out the 'old' way of doing it. All you needed was a decent, functional toploader, and the will to rip it apart and start grinding.
Nowadays, most people will send their transmissions (or just the gears) to Liberty. They mill off all the syncronizer teeth and then weld 'dogs' in their place. I believe they can either modify your sliders or install their own special ones. (I called them once to look into it, but it's been a few years) All that's really needed is a worn out toploader, around $400 worth of work from Liberty, and a rebuild kit. First gear is generally not done. The machine work and parts are not necessary, and leaving the syncronizer in place helps when putting the tranny in gear.

The modification is NOT for the street. A totally unsyncronized transmission does NOT upshift OR downshift easily. The ONLY way they work is by BANGING them into gear with a really quick motion. You do not simply step on the clutch and move the shifter between gears... it will GRRRRIIIIINNNNNNDDDDD like mad and not want to go into gear. They call them 'crashboxes' and 'bangboxes' for a reason.

I talked with the guy who actually builds them at Liberty, and he said you DO use the clutch. He said it IS possible to shift the trans without the clutch, but don't expect it to last very long. He said it would easily last a full season of racing with quick 'clutched' powershifts... and maybe a couple of races without the clutch.

I haven't had Liberty do a set of gears for me yet, but with my stock toploaders, I DO notice the syncronizers slowing down powershifts. Speaking of powershifts (fanning the clutch and shifting gears with the throttle planted firmly on the carpet the whole time) ...they are HARD on transmissions. I VERY rarely powershift my car any more. I've gone through several transmissions (and rebuilt them with new parts) I DO shift it pretty quick, but not full-on powershifts. The only time it usually happens is when I'm behind by just a fraction, and do it without even thinking...

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Yes but I am "old" GRIN
I fall between the guys who were around when musclecars were new and the guys who came into the sport with the 5.0 cars

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
I power shift our top loader for 3 years now and check it every season and it is like new inside my gas foot never comes off the floor. It has never been shifted easy. but all we do with is race it

Alan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts