Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any body have any opinions on the quality of their kits?

Im thinking of the street fighter range rather than the pro street fighter as Im in the uk and by the time Ive got the good over here the tax and shipping will cost more than the difference between the 2 kits, so Ive gotta settle for less unfortunaly..

cheers
Ben

·
Registered
176 Posts
im in the process of building a stroker right now and i called around town to csome engine builders and there we split some liked the eagle kits and some like the scat kits but i did here from two of them that they had nothing but problems with the kits using probe components they didnt go into great detal probably becasue ididint ask but just a heads up im sure some other people will chime in to

jeff

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm using their pistons, the measured to spec and look like quality pieces. Forged with 22cc dish.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Richard Holdener from muscle mustangs and fast fords has competed in Engine masters has used components from Probe industries for years. All his builds end up as articles in this and other mags. From what I understand they dont just use them for a short time to dyno one set up they keep using short blocks over and over on different projects. He ( R.H ) has made some pretty impressive N.A. and forced induction horsepower numbers for years. I still know engine builders around here that dont like the Probe kits they say they dont like the double valve reliefs on there pistons. I'm not sure wheter they think this weakens them or not but I know people around here that pound on their engines every weak at the drags and they are satisfied with them. It might be just a matter of preference. I would call Probe and see what the kits your interested in are intended for (what kind of use ) and purchase the one that is correct for your needs. Do it right the first time and you wont regret it. I've also heard alot of good things about Scat, but stay away from Eagle.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Their dish pistons suck! Straight dish with no reversed dome to match the chamber. I guess if you are using high octane gas all the time and dont care about decent quench they would be OK. I ve bought some and sent them right back even though I got stuck with a restocking fee.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Joe, that looks awfully familiar. Same piston, same test gauge, and my deck clearance was less than .001 from the reading on your gauge.

Eric

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Ha! I'm about .0035 out.....that's after Mike shaved .011 off the top. I'm going to run a .039 gasket.

Nice quench.

The cc's dropped down to 20. I'm still about 10.75:1 though.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Whoops, mis-interpretted the pic. I'm something like .0015 in the hole. I'm also running a .039 gasket.

I calculate mine at 10.45:1.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Hey all I know is mine looked like a bowl and they got sent back same day especially after the sales guy at CNC absolutely guaranteed me they'd be reverse domed to fit my 225's. Flat top Diamonds in there now and eeven they were all over the place for weights prior to balancing. Really the only piston company Ive ever been TOTALLY satisfied with has been Ross. Bought lots of pistons from them over the years for all kinds of builds and theyve always been within a couple of tenths of a gram and perfect for height.

438 inch Dart block Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 950 HP carb, external wet sump oiling, reverse manual C4, 4000 stall, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street '68 Cougar. 315/60/15 MT's

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikeandnatasha on 7/19/06 4:23pm ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
The salesman mislead you if he said it would be a matching reverse dome to your 225's. As far as I can tell they don't have a set specifically for the afr's.

As far as weight, the 2 worst ones were about a gram from each other, the rest falling in the middle somewhere. The probe spec is +/- 2.5.

Ross makes really nice pistons. A set to match afr's is probably double the price of the probe srs pistons, if not more.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
For an off the shelf piston, it's pretty damn close.

Probe/AFR 205:

<font color="red">***New Project***</font>'92 LX 408, SCAT crank & H-beams, Probe pistons, AFR 205, Rawls SFT cam, Vic Jr intake, Holley HP byPro Systems, UPR K member kit w/coil overs, FR manual rack.....more to come!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mstngjoe on 7/20/06 1:46am ]</font>

·
Registered
159 Posts
Those do look like nice pistons but they sure dont look anything like what I got and sent back. Probably did get a bum set from an uninformed sales guy. As far as Ross prices go theyre not that bad. Ive never paid more than $680 for a set and that was with custom work done for aftermarket chambers on an FE.

438 inch Dart block Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 950 HP carb, external wet sump oiling, reverse manual C4, 4000 stall, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street '68 Cougar. 315/60/15 MT's

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikeandnatasha on 7/20/06 2:06am ]</font>

·
Registered
275 Posts
The pistons you got were probably the FPS pistons. Definetely worth it to get the srs.

http://www.probeindustries.com/Pistons/Pistons_FPS/fps_ford_351w.htm

Scroll down to the dished pistons about half way.

I see what you mean, big bowl.

1964 Falcon Club Wagon - Bone Stock
1965 Econoline
408w AFR205's XR286R Super Victor AED 950 602hp at 6400
C4 reverse manual with brake. 325/50R15 MT 4.11's 9"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: etcetera on 7/20/06 7:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
28 Posts
Probe's dish is different on different pistons... If you call a company that has no idea about the products they're selling you're going to deal with whatever they send.

$.02

Brian

·
Registered
865 Posts
My testing has shown that the reverse dome thing does NOTHING. I think everyone has been misled. too bad I know that the valve reliefs that Probe lists are wrong by up to 4 cc-JOE SHERMAN RACING

·
Registered
247 Posts
Tmes 2 for Brian at AD performance. I bought a 331 Eagle kit from him. Very helpful, very knowledgable. Buy your kit from him. He has good prices also.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts