Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday I had to brake real hard, after the car stopped the engine shut down, I turn on the engine and since then the engine is not working smooth as before.

I tried to disconnect the brake booster but it didn't help, I tried to clean the carb but it also did not help...

what can I do?

the car is a 68 mustang with a fresh 302, MSD ignition, power brakes, edel carb

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Check for vacuum leaks.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked, no vacuum leaks, the carburetor is fine and the fuel filter is in good shape.

While I was checking, I notice a ticking sound but it is not sound like metal tick it sound like cyl #3 is firing randomly what can I do?

·
Registered
809 Posts
I checked, no vacuum leaks, the carburetor is fine and the fuel filter is in good shape.

While I was checking, I notice a ticking sound but it is not sound like metal tick it sound like cyl #3 is firing randomly what can I do?
Spark arcing sound?? Maybe when you braked hard a plug wire moved and is now arcing off something??

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
Pull your dist. cap and make sure the rotor is in good running order, I have seen them come loose before

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Naaah, I'll just pour a little fine grit playground sand down the intake at about 4500 rpm's, that should cure it, right?
I was just picking on ya FE . If I did not like you I would not do that. But yup sand would do the trick or a bee bee in carb would bounce on pistons a few times.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Run it in the dark, you can sometimes see a spark going astray. Also, maybe disconnect each plug wire one at a time to see if one of them does not affect the idle. Or use long screwdriver to listen at each cylinder. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Look, this is off the wall, and I admit it, but in 1969, I slammed the brakes on my wife's very peppy 1958 Pontiac Chieftain, 2 dr hardtop. Suddenly the car ran like crap.

Next day I found out that the hard braking had done something to the suspension and the car was not tracking straight.

The bad news, I sold her for $40. (Some kid bought her, fixed the front end, and, rumour has it, made some money street racing her against some guys who thought this rusted out pink/white Pontiac was a piece of junk.)

The good news, bought my 64 Galaxie convert to replace the Pontiac.

43 years ago last January.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
yeah i agree it 'sounds' like an exhaust leak. but with watching a video its hard to tell sound. headers are prone to leaking. maybe after that hard stop and torque from the stall, it very well could have jarred something loose. but if its not running as smooth as before IDK

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd say check all electrical connection, especially the grounds.
Electrical stuff is my weak point... can you tell me how do I check connections and grounds??

I cleaned the carburetor and no change... I also tried to drive without the brake booster but it only made me cramp :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts