Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some weeks ago, me and my girlfriend were driving to a carmeeting. My Galaxie had the trunk loaded with much baggage and we were towing a light combi camp trailer. The trailer weighs approximatly 660 pounds. When driving up long steep hills, we felt a burned odor, like "pink stink" mentioned many places on internet. I assume its the transmission oil which is burned, and I have to check if the oil still is red and if it smells as usual or burned. Type F is used. Is burned oil when the transmission is loaded heavy a classic problem when it comes to cruise o matics? It was the first time Ive felt that smell and the transmission works great except the problem described

·
Registered
217 Posts
ANY automatic tranny can overheat if used for towing AND is not in pretty much tip-top shape, including fluid. Also, a tranny cooler is always a good idea and worth the cost and effort...probably would have saved you some concern here.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It just happened a few times that weekend. Ive checked the oil today, it was red as usual. It could also be the original 352 engine which worked hard and made the burned smell. A friend also mentioned making an tranny cooler, it will make it better. Ive never done it before, so I have to ask a stupid question: do I have to drill holes in the tranny?

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
Hmmm, difficult situation. Might be helpful if you could post some pictures of your girlfriend, need to take all elements into account..

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I havent asked her, but I dont think she will allow that ;)

·
Registered
695 Posts
A friend also mentioned making an tranny cooler, it will make it better. Ive never done it before, so I have to ask a stupid question: do I have to drill holes in the tranny?

No need to drill any holes in the trans to install a cooler. You mount the cooler, which looks like a small radiator, in front of the radiator. Your radiator should already have a built-in trans cooler in it. What you do is disconnect one of the lines from the stock trans cooler and run it through the new cooler and then back to the cooler in the radiator. Some people just bypass the original cooler in the radiator all together and use the new cooler. I like to plumb mine so that the trans fluid goes from trans to radiator cooler, then to the new cooler, and then back to the trans. Hope this makes sense to you. I know how to do it, just have a hard time trying to explain it.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
I havent asked her, but I dont think she will allow that ;)
Okay then. A tube coming from a hole in the transmission pan would not work because there is no pressure in there to push the oil out.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it looks simple, like r.n.r.racing describes it. But off course, I can get some difficulties when adding a new optional cooler. Have to learn how to make double flares, because I may also make new brakelines for a dual MC and dish brakes

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Frequently Asked Questions

Quality Transmission Service​
Tempe, AZ​

17- How often should I have the transmission serviced?

Normal service intervals will vary as a result of the use of the vehicle and the operating temperature of the transmission. When you check the fluid level periodically, note how it smells. You will notice a burnt smell long before the color changes. And, when you notice a strong burnt smell, have the transmission fluid changed. The mileage from the last service to now becomes your service interval. Also, if there are lots of small bubbles in the fluid on the dipstick, it's time to change it.

The fluid life expectancy is directly related to the operating temperature of the transmission. Normal operating temperature is about 215 degrees Fahrenheit, but the cooling efficiency of you vehicle's cooling system and the type of driving you do will be the real determinate of its life expectancy. At 215 degrees, it should go for 100,000 miles, but for each additional 20 degrees, the mileage is cut in half.

Source- http://www.quality-trans.com/faq/faq4.htm

You might also consider having the bands adjusted.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
...uh...

Some weeks ago, me and my girlfriend...
My girlfriend and I....

Not correcting your English but it is very important to always put your girlfriend first. That includes FORD, BUDWEISER and the NFL.

Ask me how I know...

I ignored and she finally pulled a Hank Snow...

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Your right Kultulz, my english is not the best. To mention Her first is important, Illl meet her soon, Ill remember that ;). Before I bought 63.5 Galaxie, I had a 69 mustang and also with that car I towed a combi camp. No problems at all towing with that car. My earllier mustang had FMX and 351 windsor. I cant remember changing ATF on the FMX while I had the mustang, ie 9 years. I assume this is the reasons: The mustang is a lighter car, and the trunk couldnt keep half the luggage as the Galaxie.

·
Premium Member
5,846 Posts
For $35 plus shipping try...
Hayden Automotive 403 Ultra-Cool Tube and Fin Transmission Cooler

1 - 12 of 12 Posts