Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie, 460 385-series engine, with a 4 speed manual transmission, "4 on the floor" from what I believe was a '69 and a shift linkage from a Ford Fair-lane.

I had the shifter and trans rebuilt, but afterwards, the shift linkage was rubbing against the case, so I shaved the case, lubed everything. Lined up the site hole, etc...

Here's my problem. For some reason, unless I shift BACK to neutral when changing gears, the shifter binds up on me! That is, 1st to Neutral to 2nd,etc... As long as I do that, everything works great...

Is this something which was common on older fords? Have I just gotten spoiled over time with newer shift kits?

Any suggestions?

NOTE: I might have given the incorrect transmission information. The ID number on the tailhousing is C90R-7a040..

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a 1963 Ford Galaxie, 460 FE engine, with a 4 speed manual transmission, "4 on the floor" from what I believe was a '69 Monte Carlo and a shift linkage from a Ford Fair-lane.

I had the shifter and trans rebuilt, but afterwards, the shift linkage was rubbing against the case, so I shaved the case, lubed everything. Lined up the site hole, etc...

Here's my problem. For some reason, unless I shift BACK to neutral when changing gears, the shifter binds up on me! That is, 1st to Neutral to 2nd,etc... As long as I do that, everything works great...

Is this something which was common on older fords? Have I just gotten spoiled over time with newer shift kits?

Any suggestions?
you have a 460 FE ! ok , if you say so ..

yes that was a very common problem back then , with chevy M/C's trans in 63 Fords . thats why Ford never installed the 1970 on up M/C trans

forgot . rotflmao

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Is this a FORD or HURST shifter?

It sounds like the linkage is binding. You need to get under it and watch while someone moves the shifter between gears. Make sure the damn thing is sitting securely on NON CHI-COM stands or a lift.

Is the clutch plate finger style or diaphragm? The clutch may also not be fully releasing and/or binding.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts