Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

Problems with 427 strokers??

54K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  PSIG 
#1 ·
I've been looking into building a stroker outta my 351W i have. I was wondering if there are any reliablility problems with a 427 stroker?? I've heard a little bit about oil comsumption, but nothing really concrete. I was also wondering if the rod-ratios would affect it at all? The motor is going in a street-strip car and i don't want to be rebuilding it for a long while. Thanks.

#2 ·
[Quote:] " I don't want to be rebuilding it for a long while."

Then you don't want a 427.

I changed my mind after researching the 427W. The rod ratio IS an issue for longevity. There is quite a bit of side load on the piston wall. The oil consumption issues really have been resolved on strokers now days. 393 and 408 strokers are popular for the simple fact they will last awhile, and the rod angle is not too severe. The 408 requires little clearancing. Sure, it would be nice to be able to say "I have 427 cubic inches" but it really wouldn't be worth it compared to the lifespan of the motor. I decided on the 408. I've even heard they are faster than the 427. First thing is to decide what the intended use of the motor will be. My application for example: I will drive it once a week to a cruise in or Car Show, and sometimes take it to the track. Even at that , the 110 octane fuel will be a PAIN.

My Combo:

351W stroked 408 .030
12.5:1 Compression
Cleveland Heads 4v 61cc 2.19/ 1.71 Ferrea (Ported, just smoothed bumps and guide bosses narrowed)
264/274 650/666 Solid roller cam @50 108 Lobe Separation (I need to get a little shaved off that .666 number! hehe)
forged Eagle 4.0 crank, Eagle H-Beam 6.2 rods.
Wiseco Racing pistons
tunnelram with (2) 650 Mighty Demons

I'll be close to 600HP and well over 550ftlbs of Torque. Choose wisely your compression ratio, and intended use for the motor. There's a fine line between Street and Strip and I have crossed it! hehe. Just remember not every gas station has 110 octane fuel. The only advantage to doing a 427W, is the fact you can say "I have a 427" ....is it worth it? I think not. Once you weigh it all out, I believe you too will decide 393 or 408. Good Luck in whatever you decide.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: FATNFAST on 3/6/06 9:28pm ]</font>

#4 ·
I even prefer smaller cubes like sticking with the 351...but I like lost of rpm too. It's easier to build a wide power band with a shorter stroke if you stick with W style heads.
If your going the cleveland route, then the stroker can have a wide power band, but usually costs a little more because of the heads (aluminum clevelands).
Brian

#5 ·
I think you need some input from some of the guys actually running a 427W.

Most of these builds are race only and while they may not go 100k miles, they would certainly last awhile, all othe things being equal.

Just how much hp does a street car really need? There's a point of diminishing returns not just in hp but in $$$ as well.

#9 ·
i built a 392W > 4" bore x 3.9" stroke = 392.07. 6.2 rod , 1.35" compression height , 1.589 r to s ratio. no problems. i could have bored it but its a new ford racing block and .030 wouldnt have done much if anything. i could loose 100 pounds from my fat azz and probably make a difference.

#10 ·
This has been a revival of a very old post, but once you get past 4.0" (408) or 4.1" (418) stroke... things get a lot tougher, as there just isn't much room for the longer strokes to swing around.

Starting with a 4.125" big bore Dart block, the 4.0" stroke (408) crank yields 427ci.

With a stock block, a 408 with big heads is a great combo.

Good Luck!

#11 ·
Wow, old thread indeed. For future readers - I won't argue for any end of the choices, but for a first-time builder would suggest the typical 393-408's with less clearancing to be done to the block (mostly cylinder bottoms and oil pan rail). Not that it's a biggie, but no sense pushing the edge if you haven't even been in the neighborhood before.

The 393-408's are popular enough to be slightly cheaper as well in similar quality ranges. On the other hand, if you don't mind doing a bit of grinding to your block, and perhaps a few bucks more, for a street engine the 427 is awesome with it's long TDC dwell (timing and combustion efficiency) and quick down-stroke (peak piston velocity) making for sharp throttle response. Of course, if you're using a 6.25" rod in the 427 it has the same ratio as a 6.00" rod 408, so that advantage is lost and maybe we're splitting hairs.

I wouldn't worry about rod ratios too much, as you need to move about .250" to even see anything on the dyno at these power levels. And other short rod ratio issues? Well, if you want your engine to last like one of the millions of Honda Civics with their 1.6L, Jeep I4, or Chev 454's or 400's, then the 427W should last you as well - they are all about the same ratio. Unless it's your daily commuter for the next 10 years, it should outlast you, if you keep it under 6500 RPM or so on the street.

Lastly, I would consider why you want to stroke at all. Okay, that didn't sound right, but get your mind out of the gutter for a moment. Cubes. Right. It's your balancing game, as a 427W only has to turn 6500 to flow at the same VE as a 351W at 7900, with the others falling in-between. Stroking isn't always just about cubes, it can also be about making the same power at lower cost and with more reliable and long-lasting lower RPMs. That's why I built one for my cruiser.

So, I guess I'm saying that each has it's own pros and cons, but they all work. None have negative issues big enough to cause you regret for having chosen that path. The mere fact that the question has caused long-term arguments means the issues are small. Pick your poison and have a blast.

David

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.