Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to do the cam break in on my rebuilt 289. It has an Edlebrock Performer intake, a rebuilt 600 Holley carb and Pertronix distributor otherwise stock. Cam/crank marks lined up with #1 up on compression stroke, air mix is at baseline-1 1/2 turns and it has 66 jets, total timing is at 34 per timing light, intake was re-torqued after 10 minutes break in time, no vacuum leaks that I can find (all vacuum lines except the line from carb base to pvc), starts easily and sounds normal when running. The problem is that after a few minutes the headers are glowing (pic attached-530 per laser heat gun). After 5 minutes it gets to 210 and I shut it down (I have 2 box fans in front of the radiator). I'm also attaching a pic of the cooling system while running (belt is tight, etc.). I know often headers will glow red during break in and some mfrs will recommend not putting on headers until after break in but as you can see in the pic and noted above, they're getting really hot. I also know that one of the things that can cause this is the timing being retarded. Per the timing light I don't think this is my problem. I also know that it can be caused by valves being too tight but my engine rebuilder assures me they were adjusted correctly. I also know it could be caused by the carb being too lean or too rich but I don't think that's it either. I'm at 15 minutes accumulated time in 3 attempts. What am I missing??? Thanks in advance for your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Pull your thermostat and check the temp setting on it. It might be a 210. If not, gut the thermo and just install the plate from it. Then see what happens. also what do your plugs look like? What is your total timing at 3000RPMs? Shouldn't be over 38 on a good day. Maybe 32-36. Readjust the valves, with the engine idling. If you haven't wiped the cam lobes by now, you ain't going to.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By all means pull a few plugs and take some photos of the firing ends.
By all means pull a few plugs and take some photos of the firing ends.
Thanks for the replys. I did read the plugs and found out the problem was too lean, changed out the jets (who would have thought that a stock 289 was starving for gas) and that solved my problem. Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Most times when installing headers, after using a carb previously jetted for a non-header setup, you have to increase the jets 4 sizes. I had the samething with a 66 Stang years ago. Headers first, then 4 bbl Holley carb and then a Crane cam kit. Had to play with the jets to get them where it wanted to be. If your carb is Vac sec you'll have to play with the spring for the Sec to get there where it wants to be. Make sure and change the oil and filter after break in and use a non-syn oil for about 3000 miles, then you can run syn oil. Run a small magnet threw the oil checking for metal particals.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts