Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello first time poster, long time full size Ford lover. 1964 Galaxie 500XL convertible 352 cruise-o. I’m having issues with these after market control arms and maybe it’s just me maybe it’s not I’m not sure. The issue I’m having is they don’t seem to line up as you can see in the pictures. The arms themselves don’t seem to be wide enough and at the same time the back bolt hole is way off. I can’t push it over and get the bolt through but I’m worried it will just tear up the bushings quick. I should also mention I had eccentric bolts from the front removed I had them machined and bushings pressed in so a straight bolt could be ran through and it seems like that might be the culprit for the miss alignment of the rear holes. My question is has anyone else had issues like this? Am I worrying to much and should just slap them in and go?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lower (stock) control arm attaches to front of chassis. With bushing assembly. It comes out (away from radiator) then drops down. Then attaches to control arm. I think you need a new bushing assembly that gives you the out& down attachment point. Looks like what you were trying just comes out (away from radiator) but NOT down Too. I have a64 I hate the design of that front bush assembly pat

·
Registered
44 Posts
One of your pictures shows, mounting holes on frame (control arm hole towards back of car) hole you’re trying to get bolt thru ... frame hole appears lower. I think you need to use that goofy assembly on radiator side. To lower control arm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your both are talking about the weird cranked bolt that makes the car feel like a bucket of water at freeway speeds and to where the car won’t hold an alignment. Yea I’m not putting those terribly designed things back in. The way I have the front bolt set up is the fix for that problem with the front suspension of the 63 and 64 Galaxies. The below link is how that works. And Fatman fabrications sent the stuff to do this modification with the control arms. http://www.bornagainclassics.com/products.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I believe thats the idea. So upon reading other people’s threads I’ve found that it moves the front of the control arm slightly up and you lose some of the anti dive in the front end but it’s minimal so I was making mountains out of mole hills. This could be avoided by using the rare parts 18021 kit as it keeps the front bolt offset and just takes away the movement part but that kit is super expensive, so I’m gonna go with this for now. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Just installed the same arms. Looking at your last picture, it appears you lower arms are in backwards. Look at my picts a couple below yours under It started. Mine went in pretty slick.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts