Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking you guys cause well I am a Ford guy. I am slowly gathering inventory for a shop I am opening. A 'Speed Shop' to be exact. No I have read alot about Procomp Electronics Dizzy's being POS, and some guys have great luck with them but I never heard anything bad about there E-Coils. Alot of guys run them with no problem, which I was surprised. I can get some cheap so I can mark them up to sale, thing is I don't want to sale a item that is bad out of the box. Now I know the saying 'You get what you pay for' Well that is true, but I have bought cheap stuff that has outlasted brand name stuff. And plus I don't think someone would buy it for a strip car or a dirt track car, but more for 'Enthusiastic' driving. So my point after a long long time is are the good quality?

·
Registered
404 Posts
The coils are probably the SAME as the ones in "fancy" boxes.

A few years ago, pretty much all (possibly ALL) oil-filled coils were made either at a facility in Andover, Michigan, or down in Mexico. The Mexican coils were notorious for burning up ignition boxes. Now, the Andover ("Made in USA") coils are about impossible to find, and all are either "Hecho in Mexico" or China. All the "brands" basically paid these companies to paint the coils their own color and use their packaging - but they were all coming from the same places.

I'd be really surprised if it is ANY different with the E-core coils. The "red" company will have the Chinese shop put red dye in the nylon housing, the "yellow" some yellow dye, etc... But most likely the SAME chinese shop makng the red ones, the yellow ones, and the ones you can buy.

·
Registered
2021 F150 STX
81 Posts
I am asking you guys cause well I am a Ford guy. I am slowly gathering inventory for a shop I am opening. A 'Speed Shop' to be exact. No I have read alot about Procomp Electronics Dizzy's being POS, and some guys have great luck with them but I never heard anything bad about there E-Coils. Alot of guys run them with no problem, which I was surprised. I can get some cheap so I can mark them up to sale, thing is I don't want to sale a item that is bad out of the box. Now I know the saying 'You get what you pay for' Well that is true, but I have bought cheap stuff that has outlasted brand name stuff. And plus I don't think someone would buy it for a strip car or a dirt track car, but more for 'Enthusiastic' driving. So my point after a long long time is are the good quality?
I have a PCE385.1005 in my 351W. It came new with no papers beyond plug and run. Do you have any ideas on where I can find details on the vac/mech advance stuff in it? I mean to say I have it running and starting pretty good but just have no idea what can be “played” with inside. I have 600 Edel so if there is any little tricks to get the two items as happy as possible it would be better than guessing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts