Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about buying a proform center body but have a few questions. First, is it worth it? Second, would I just need to attach the fuel bowls from my 750(3310) and have a 750dp then? What else would I need?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I bought one. I wasted my money...but also I do not have access to a GOOD dyno to tune it right. Lost nearly a half second. No matter what I did, I could not get the car to launch. Once it got going, it would scream like a banshee, but getting it out of the hole was a chore at best. It also did not like to idle.

I put a bone-stock 700 double pumper back on it and my half second came back.

A friend "built" his Holley with Proform main body and picked up a bunch of MPH and ET, so maybe different combos work better.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On 2006-03-01 17:54, mavman wrote:
I bought one. I wasted my money...but also I do not have access to a GOOD dyno to tune it right. Lost nearly a half second. No matter what I did, I could not get the car to launch. Once it got going, it would scream like a banshee, but getting it out of the hole was a chore at best. It also did not like to idle.

I put a bone-stock 700 double pumper back on it and my half second came back.

A friend "built" his Holley with Proform main body and picked up a bunch of MPH and ET, so maybe different combos work better.
You wouldn't happen to still have yours laying around that you would want to sell.....would you?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the 3310 vac secondary? If so, then you have to buy the Proform made for the 3310, in which case you will still have vacuum secondaries (not a double pumper), just with an improved main body.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
If you have a 3310, you'd use the body for the vacuum secondary conversion. If you want a DP, you'll need to start with a 4 corner idle DP or buy the ProForm base and two billet metering blocks.

Is it worth it? Yes and maybe. I modded a 3310 and picked up 2 MPH (about 20~30 HP). That carb is a good carb, runs or ran very well on several different engines. Loaned it to a friend with a 454 Firebird and he picked up a full second over a 850 DP. It gets nearly the same ET as my tuned 650DP does on the Falcon.

I have also built a 750DP (with the billet baseplate and blocks) and haven't got the thing to run right yet.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I'm running a Proform 750 and like it alot. Great Price, alot of features and very little tuning to get it right on my combo.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I picked up top end, but suffered the same as a lot of you down low. After I converted to a 4-corner idle (quick fuel blocks and just drilled and pluged factory baseplate) it all came back. If your not going 4-corner I wouldnt do it. Just my experience
Tracy

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
79stang351, recommends that I buy a 650dp for cheap, on Ebay, and then buy the Holley trick kit. That probably sounds like the cheapest way. What Part nunber should I be looking for on a 650dp...4777?

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
82GT, I still have it, but I think I am going to use it for a "crash test dummy"....for an alcohol conversion. I'll post the results here if/when I do it...and I'll also post HOW to do it. Alcohol conversions for carbs must either be a black art or the world's best kept secret because NOONE seems to know how to do it.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
On 2006-03-02 12:14, 82GT wrote:
79stang351, recommends that I buy a 650dp for cheap, on Ebay, and then buy the Holley trick kit. That probably sounds like the cheapest way. What Part nunber should I be looking for on a 650dp...4777?
Yes you can do that and save some money vs. buying the Proform throttle body and metering blocks. You can use a 650dp, 700dp, or 750dp, all will work. The model numbers are 4777, 4778, and 4779 for those three carbs.

·
Premium Member
1,741 Posts
I run a 4777 (i think, mine is a DP) and I picked up 10-15 rwhp (on the dyno) over a road demon Jr. It idles smoother and also picked up lots of noticable power in the low end.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
On 2006-03-01 14:31, 82GT wrote:
I'm thinking about buying a proform center body but have a few questions. First, is it worth it? Second, would I just need to attach the fuel bowls from my 750(3310) and have a 750dp then? What else would I need?
1st... NO

2nd NO

3rd A correct proform main body for a 3310 series carb.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I just put a pro form on my 650dp,I now have a dead spot coming off idle.My carb does not have 4 corner idle adjustment.Is this a common problem, if so do you have to change it to 4 corner adj. to fix it?

·
Registered
728 Posts
I put on on my 650dp but added qft billet blocks at the same time and a idle eze base plate. The car instantly started and idled better, it would even idle cold now. Ran way crisper and had a ton more power, from the seat of the pants feel, it was just obvious. Of course 30 miles later I wrecked the block!

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
[No message]

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow...who dug up this old post? I now have a 750dp will a milled air horn.

·
Registered
749 Posts
it sounds to me like you need to run the proform billet metering blocks and throttle plate for best luck in getting it to work right.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts