Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm a bit confused. I'm old school (points, plugs and carburetor). I now have a 2006 Mustang GT to deal with. People keep asking if I'm going to put a "chip" in it to increase HP. I know I can buy and install a chip, yet I also see "programmers" such as Diablo Predator. Can someone explain the difference between the two in simple terms. One addition I will be making is the addition of a CDC Shaker system with CAI. In order to get the most out of it, I understand I will have to flash the system. To me, that says I am going to need the "programmer". Maybe I'm missing something. Any thoughts are welcome.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Both do the same thing. However, a programmer is beneficial since it allows you to read error codes. However, from what I hear, the Diablo piece is junk as compared to the SCT piece.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a OBDII code reader that has been very reliable over the years to decipher error codes on my 1996 Explorer (the last NEW vehicle I purchased). All the "programmers" for the 2006 Mustang I have seen look like they plug into the OBDII port. Is that correct? If so, a "programmer" would seem to offer much more in the way of varible programming as opposed to "pre-programmed chips".

On another note, does the installation of a "chip" or the "re-programming" of factory settings, void the manufaturers warranty?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts