Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How about an article telling us all the little details involved in putting project 460 together.Its never as simple as it sounds!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just the little details one might not think of when doing such a swap.How did the headers fit,have to change or modify driveshaft,steering ,tranny crossmember,crossmember under engine etc.All the articles I've seen its just plunk and its in,now lets see how fast it will go (which is good)but when you phone these guys theres always lots of little details that they won't tell you unless you ask specifically

·
Registered
30 Posts
With the truck/rear sump pan, it really is plunk and its in. The stock dual hump cross member can be used, cu the tack welds and knock it back. THe C6 will drop right on it. SO long as you have either the hooker or D&D swap headers the worst you might have to fight with is a little clearancing on the extra material at the rear of the front K member that bolts to the subframe. Passenger side is the worst area.

Drive shaft will have to be shortend, and you need a C6 input shaft.

Other than that, depending on valve covers, you might have to switch to manual brakes. Or at the least a late model CObra Hydraulic brake booster.

If you set it on 5.0 springs, you wont have much of a problem at all. Not going to win any pro-solo events. But you will be able to raost a tire at will.

If you dont use a typical junkyard engine and hop it up a little, of course a radiator will be needed to cool the thing.

You also have to figure on using an electric fan. A few people have custom configured the assembly to use a conventional fan. But it takes a dropped center K member and rack. OR using spacers between the K member and the body.

·
Registered
30 Posts
OOoppps.... wait a second while I get my foot out my mouth[\i]

The company that did the boss 429's is on the tip of my tongue, but for the life of me it won’t come out. Anyhow on the original 429 cars they actually cut the shock towers and moved them so there was header and spark plug access.

If doing an early pony without moving the shock tower, you are looking at a hole saw, and punching holes in the inner fender to access the spark plugs.

All the FOX stuff, never mind.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it was Kar Kraft that built the boss 429 mustangs and widened the shock towers.Actually the non boss big blocks will squeeze in without cutting the shock towers

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
yeah the non boss 429/460 actually fits in the 67-70 Mustangs without any need to hack the shock towers, but you do need the crites headers. Believe it of not you have a little more access to plugs than the FE motors in those cars. Nevertheless it is very tight, and just modifying the shock towers as we did (see link in the above posts) offered the ability to get to all plugs without the need to lift the motor out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
On 2002-03-21 12:23, 67stang wrote:
yeah the non boss 429/460 actually fits in the 67-70 Mustangs without any need to hack the shock towers, but you do need the crites headers. Believe it of not you have a little more access to plugs than the FE motors in those cars.....

Yeah, just because the FE was the factory offering, it does'nt mean its easy!

The 429/460 is an easier fit into that small engine room than a 390/428.

Ford finally got wise in 1971 and used the 429 instead.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Let's not gripe about changing plugs in an old big-block mustang...anyone ever tried changing plugs on a late-model Cadillac front drive v8? You know what I mean....makes the 'stangs easy!

·
Registered
30 Posts
ha ha, itas actually easier to change plugs on the big block in the fox than it ever was on the emissions 302.

And when you start talking about the 2001 exploder... with the 5.0, Im seriously considering haveing ford do it, just for the punishment.

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
"ha ha, itas actually easier to change plugs on the big block in the fox than it ever was on the emissions 302.

And when you start talking about the 2001 exploder... with the 5.0, Im seriously considering haveing ford do it, just for the punishment."

good one, Kim....give me something I can think about when I think of that guy that screwed me over at the dealership last time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts