Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice for my dads 68 galaxie fastback 500 buildup... It has a stock 390 2 bARREL, STOCK fmx , STOCK OPEN 9 INCH... ALL ORIGINAL... I SOLD HIM THE CAR...

HE WANTS A 13.5 1/4 MILE TIME TO A 14.0... HE WANTS TO BE ABLE TO CRUISE IT TO WORK EVERYDAY AND POSSIBLY TAKE IT ON A ROADTRIP OUT OF STATE TO MY GRANDPAS.. THE CAR HAS 58, 000 MILES ON IT...

I WANT ADVICE ON GEARING TO TRANS TO ENGINE WORK HAS BETWEEN $3000- $4000 TO SPEND HIS FRIEND WILL DO LABOR FOR CHEAP....

I STILL HAVE THE MAVERICK GRABBER IT RAN A 14.7 AT THE GROVE DURING THE FREE RACE WEEK... I STILL NEED TO SELL IT TO FINISH PAYING OFF THE MOPAR...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68fastback on 4/15/02 12:51pm ]</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I need more specification of intake choice, carb, cam, maybe a dist., transmission upgrades???? thanx rick

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Those intakes are original cast iron intakes correct?? Where is a good place to find one??? Should he touch the cylinder heads at all?? thanx rick

·
Registered
739 Posts
CJ is cast iron, PI is aluminum. PIs might be pricey, aftermarket may be more cost effective. Go aluminum for the weight savings if nothing else.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was reading project FE in the archieves that they used a edelbrock performer intake with that same cam and it did fine. Would you suggest this intake?

I also needed to know what vehicle to get a front disc setup for his galaxie???

He would like it if he only had to use one foot to stop the car

thanx rick

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 68fastback on 4/18/02 12:46pm ]</font>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanx for all your advice chilly 460, but does anyone know what car to take a front disc setup out of???????? >> for the galaxie

thanx rick

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
Are you ready to ship the Granada disc brake setup to me yet? I really need them now but if more money is needed for the shipping charges, let me know. I really need them quick!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My email is [email protected] 89 coupe... Give me all your info.. I do not have it and how much money I owe you I accidently left the disc brakes and tons of other sh#t he won't give back in my maverick parts car I gave to my mechanic for work on my other car.. So give me your info and mailing address so I can make this right.. RICk

·
Registered
809 Posts
Nobody has mentioned them, but I would reccomend a set of Cobra Jet heads. Or the
E-brocks if you have to buy heads, then have them reworked. That surely should get it in the mid 13 sec range.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The stock heads will easily get him into the 13's. Basically the aftermarket RPM intake, headers, true dual exaust with crossover, 10:1 compression, 670cfm-750cfm carburator, 3.50 gears and proper tires will get him into the range he needs. Traction bars will help also, since with all that weight transfer may increase the traction problem.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
On 2002-04-21 12:14, 68fastback wrote:
My email is [email protected] 89 coupe... Give me all your info.. I do not have it and how much money I owe you I accidently left the disc brakes and tons of other sh#t he won't give back in my maverick parts car I gave to my mechanic for work on my other car.. So give me your info and mailing address so I can make this right.. RICk
I understand, I'll e-mail you tomorrow probably. Thanks...

·
Registered
11 Posts
As far as disk brakes, 68 and 70-73 full size Ford will bolt on easily. The 68 is a one year only and hard as anything to find parts for. The 70-73 are much easier. Get the whole spindle from both sides and the proportioning valve.I'd also use the master for which ever year you get the spindles and rotors for.(I used the 68 and it works great)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts