Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading the latest installment, I'm surprised that the FM guys didn't plan better. Why install a cylinder head w/an odd spark plug angle? Only one manufacturer is designing a header? Sounds like the GT40P fiasco. What was the thought process for installing a gasket intended for "freshly machined surfaces" on not-freshly machined surfaces?

·
Registered
664 Posts
are you perfect?

spark plug angle might only be a problem with one type of header, I doubt they had any idea of knowing that. I don't think the dart heads are advertised as having an odd plug angle. Given the need for a thick head gasket, I'd have also given the cometics a shot. I'd trust one thick gasket better than I would a series of stacked thin gaskets. Sometimes its worth taking a chance on things, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Good questions guys, and yes I am kicking myself about the outcome as well.
It wasn't so much a planning issue as it was a risk assessment issue. At the time it just seemed like a good idea to try the heads and Cometic's. We had no idea the heads would give us so much grief!

We'll have it all sorted out real soon however.

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On 2006-08-25 07:57, indigo66 wrote:
are you perfect?

spark plug angle might only be a problem with one type of header, I doubt they had any idea of knowing that. I don't think the dart heads are advertised as having an odd plug angle. Given the need for a thick head gasket, I'd have also given the cometics a shot. I'd trust one thick gasket better than I would a series of stacked thin gaskets. Sometimes its worth taking a chance on things, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.
Perfect? I am getting ready to sue someone for not delivering a rear axle assembly. Is that being 'perfect'?

So you would have installed the Cometics also? Would you have posted "the Cometics are terrible and don't seal worth sh$%!" after the initial start-up? Or would you have been honest and wrote "the Cometics are designed for newly-machined surfaces"? I give the FM guys credit at least they admitted their goof.

Remember all of those posts about issues w/hypereutectic pistons? I have hypereutectics w/o the drama.

·
Subscriber
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2006-08-25 08:17, admin wrote:
Good questions guys, and yes I am kicking myself about the outcome as well.
It wasn't so much a planning issue as it was a risk assessment issue. At the time it just seemed like a good idea to try the heads and Cometic's. We had no idea the heads would give us so much grief!
Isn't that the question of the day? Are unique cylinder heads worth the hassle? Especially when only ONE vendor is designing a header?

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Ok guys, no need to get riled up. You all have good points, and we certainly should have known better. But, as we try to always convey at FM, we are no different than you. We mess up from time to time, we make bad decisions and hopefully sometimes good ones. The Cometics were a known risk...sometimes guys get them to seal on a non-freshly machined block and other times they don't. We don't blame Cometic for that.

The Dart heads on the other hand are frustrating. Just ask Stan at Ford Powertrain Applications (FPA) who had to make us 2 sets of custom headers before we got one that fit the heads and allowed boots to go over the plugs. The problem with the heads is simply, in my opinion, poor design regarding how such a plug angle, plug requirement, and location will impact usability. The plugs are installed into deep tunnels in the head that are bored to about the exact diamter of a 5/8" socket - and the plug is a Autolite racing plug with a very short body. You end up with a plug that you simply cant get to when the header is in place. Sure you could get a custom header built that uses all available engine compartment space - but think about the costs involved in getting your car to a header fabricator so he can fab it all up.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Admin:

Regarding the running problem; did you try lowering the fuel pump so it is BELOW the outlet on the tank?

In one of your article photos it looks like the pump is mounted above the height of the lines / sending unit. My EFI system from Ron Morris intentionally hangs the pump lower. It's been my understanding that mounting an external pump higher than the fuel outlet lines can cause exactly the problem you're having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts