Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, new member here. Excited about joining the site and starting a new build. I came over to Ford (64 Fairlane 500) from the mopar group. Last car was a 65 Coronet 528 Hemi, 4 speed, Dana. Sold that car in able to retire, so now starting something different. I'm new to Fords, so am learning as I go. Scored a very nice 64 Fairlane off e bay, 88K orig. miles, 289 auto, and being the old skool hot rodder I am, I'm beginning to assemble parts to do a 454 small block windsor build. researched a lot in the past weeks, and have narrowed it down as far as parts go. Dart SHP block, Probe rotating assy, 4.125 bore, 4.250 stroke, 6.250 H beam rods. Will contact Comp regarding hydraulic cam recommendations, and probably a dual plane intake and carb size to be determined later. Any thoughts on the Probe parts versus say an Eagle rotating assy? The car is going to be street hot rod that may see some strip use for fun. Already have a toploader and building a 3:50 nine inch rear for it. Will be mini tubbed and narrow the rear a bit. I scored a brand new set of ported Ford motorsport Z304 heads last thursday with 2.08 intakes for the build. I see CHP has the kit I want to use and may contact them for pricing. I have already talked to another distributor off e bay and he has given me some very good pricing on the block and kit. Any thoughts, ideas, or recommendations would be greatly appreciated by a new Ford guy. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Your shopping list sounds good. Most any 4.25" crank will be decent quality. You likely know the rest that follows, such as - I would suggest going for the lightest recip parts you can find with that swing and your lower rev's. Well-ported Z304s should feed it well for street/strip. A custom cam will be a good use of your cash, as the dynamics are quite different at that stroke, and the breathing will be additionally affected by your larger bore. But, check all your clearances before ordering a cam so you can establish your maximum base circle for clearances. While not as bad as SBCs, you're swinging a pretty wide circle and your rod selection (likely profiled cap-screw ultralight I-beams) will play into it. Sounds like fun.

David

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David, thanks for your reply. I'll be going with a kit for the rotating assembly, so hopefully everything will clear as it should. I will be aware of the cam base circle issue and try to head that one off with questions regarding it. I'm pretty stoked about the build, and the motor should not see more than 6500 rpms in use. I limited my hemi to around 6200 and it was just a animal to drive, loads of fun. And the Fairlane is about 600 pounds lighter right off the bat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well have all the parts on order from AD Performance in Washington State. A large thank you to Brian for all the help and insight he provided in putting the assembly together. Learned some things I was not aware of in the process. Was going to go with a Probe kit, but learned that their cranks and rods come from RPM. Wasn't really keen on the feedback of the quality of their components, so ended up going with an Eagle forged crank and H beam rods. Brian will be taking some metal off the counterweights on the crank to help with clearance issues and balancing the rotating assy. Will be going with the Probe pistons though, as they seem to be the only ones with the proper dimensions for the 454 combo and pump gas compression. Looking forward to getting the parts and starting the build. First thing will be setting up the machine shop to bore the block and fit the pistons.....then the fun starts.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well all my motor parts finally arrived at the machine shop. I'm now waiting for my turn to begin the machine work. I've been busy in the mean time buying other parts for the project. I'll be using a Comp cam p.n. 35-427-8. It's a hydralic roller with intake lift at .576, exhaust .600, duration 242 intake, 248 exhaust and 110* lobe separation. The Dart SHP block arrived well before the rotating assy, and I got to see that just after it arrived. I hope to get up to the shop to see the parts on monday.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Finally some progress......went up to HP by Hedrick in Jacksonville today to check out my finished machined assembly. Cool stuff. Unfortunately Mark (the owner) said that the Eagle crank was no where near balanced correctly. He handed me the spec sheet from his Sunnen balance machine, and the initial unbalance was -30.7 grams and -29.2 grams. Not good since I paid Brian Adams at AD Performance $200 to have the assembly balanced before sending the components to me. I wrote Brian back and asked him what he can do regarding the money paid and improper balance job. I included his original invoice, and copy of his balance sheet, and the invoice from Mark's shop and his Sunnen print out. Guess we'll see what happens.
One other thing I forgot to mention...Mark said the the main journals on the crank were actually oversize and the bearings supplied by AD would not work. So I had to buy an oversize set of main bearings to get the crank to fit........

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts