Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a project Mustang, and I don't know where to start.

I want a completely torn-up, junky old car that I can get my hands on. I'm in high school, and wanting to go into auto-mechanics when I graduate. I want to practice my mechanic skills by putting a car back together!

What I need is advice. I've never restored a car, let alone found a car to restore. Where should I start looking? What should I know before I start?

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
291 Posts
'65-'68 mustangs whether they be 6 cylinder or originally 8 cylinders are still very plentiful out there. When you get into the fastbacks then the price significantly goes up even if they are trashed. I think the best thing to ask yourself is what is your budget as well as your time frame on finishing the car. Restoring a car is like being married to it and you have to be committed on finishing it. Then you have to ask yourself will I be customizing it for my needs or making it stock. If the vehicle is trashed and doesn't have the drivetrain (engine/tranny/rear end,etc) then you can look to the aftermarket, junkyard parts cars, or becoming buddies with other ford/mustang owners. The best thing to do is definetly plan on your budget, have a very clear plan on paper and in your mind, and just get r done! Since you will be performing alot of the repairs and learning as you go you will be saving $ and learning some great skills. The only other thing I would suggest is pick people's brains and ask questions. Just my $0.02

·
Premium Member
34,854 Posts
Hi everyone.

I'm looking for a project Mustang, and I don't know where to start.
at the beginning would be my guess. :)
I want a completely torn-up, junky old car that I can get my hands on.
There are THOUSANDS of them on craigslist and e-bay every week in every city you can imagine.
What I need is advice. Where should I start looking?
Craigslist and E-bay, you've taken the time to look here, that shows intelligence and some modest computer skill... ;)
What should I know before I start?
If you are truly starting from the beginning you need know nothing, it will simply come to you as you approach it. If it's ugly, make it pretty, if the paint is bad, make the paint good, etc... etc... until the job is done :D
Thanks everyone!
Hope that takes you somewhere :) Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
Be honest about what you want to spend, I have a 65 fastback and have a ton of money just in parts. I search ebay and craigslist everyday for deals on parts...also keep in mind the tools you will need (welder is a must!!) you need to figure that in....hang out with older car guys in your town and learn what you can..I had two guys that drag raced take me under their wing when I was in 7th grade. It all adds up over time, and it is not something that will come in one summer. As for a car I would find a 65-70 coupe cheap fast and fun :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
well , first off it depends on if you want a car that has abundant parts and im not so shure 64 1/2 to 67 is what your looking for here , although i have a 1940 ford truck half way done and a 1964 1/2 setting in the driveway , i went with 79-86 / 91-93 mustang , i paid 200 for my stang it was a ruff ol piece and she is begining to shine with time, i took a 1991 mustang and put my freshly built 1971 302 block with 1965 289 hi-po closed chamber heads with 2.02 intake and 1.65 exhaust valves and 1972 c4 in it , although it was a pain to convert the whole cars fuel system back to old school and suspention to 1995 8.8 rear end and 5 lug calipers i feal that it was a frankenstien in the making and feal real proud on how far ive got so far hopfully you can feal the same one day :p ,anyway 65's are nice to build for any true mustang lover but the parts just arnt very abundant i know know that even the foxbody parts are now even going up in prices drasticly as well as the cars, the choice is yours !! GOOD LUCK !!! :) :tup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts