Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This combo nets me low to flat 13's (spinning) sometimes a high 12 but not consistently. Approx 2650lbs Capri (strip only), 308ci high comp, unknown exact comp but domes & 106 octane only, mild hydraulic flat (unknown specs), home-ported unflowed cast irons, dual plane intake, 720 holley, points distributor, shitty exhaust & mufflers, mechanical fuel pump, c4 with kit & 3:5 rear gears on small 15" circuit slicks.
Planned combo for 2007 wil be the same sub-assembly, Cam Innov spec'd cam with Jay's prep'd Canfields 192cc, Vic Jr intake, new Holley 750dp, MSD box, distrib,coil & wires, elect fuel pump & lines upgraded, prepp'd c4 with appropriate stall, headers/exhaust upgraded to combo req, 4:11 rears on 26" M/T's drag slicks.
QUESTION: Should I get my tune spot-on, get the car to launch hard/hook & with good driving what kind of an improvement in e/t can I expect??
Guyz please don't tell me to take it to the track & see coz this is a planned combo for my 2007 season & I'm still kinda learning from my time spent on FM. HC5.0 & SBFTECH & enjoying every minute of it so please don't spoil it.....Thanx in advance..ROB.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
The first thing you need to do get the car to hook. It might run even slower with your planned mods if it spins the tires more. Is this a early '70's German Capri or a Fox body Capri like a 5.0 Mustang?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanx Jim.. the plan is to get the car to hook...believe me when I say that I've learnt from these forums that there is no sense in making the power but not been able to put it to the ground. I'm from Cape Town, South Africa so our version of the Capri is similar to the British one, you can have a look at an example on www.peranamotorcompany.com in the "cars for sale" section or www.capri-perana.co.za, mine is a 69 model...Thanx ROB.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I would think the heads,cam and intake should be worth 100hp.I would guess you should be in the mid 11s or better if you can get it to hook.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: frdnut on 7/20/06 12:12pm ]</font>

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rob-
I'd predict an 11.70 at 114 for that combination if it is tuned/driven well and hooks. That's if the air is good. We're running a similar setup and have seen those results. 4000 stall is working well for us with a 4.10 gear.
Good luck!

Terry

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx Terry & FRDNUT...I was kinda hoping that I could achieve a low 11 at least with that combo but it seems like it will take some more work..tune/hook/drive will be my triad of must have's..believe me. I guess I'd rather shoot for a low 12 (conservative fig) and take it from there... anything else would be a bonus. Terry was your high 11's consistent or would it depend??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Rob,the car ran repeatable 11.75-11.85's in late spring air.....2000'-3000' density altitudes. 2000' is about the best we ever see here in KS, most of the summer it's 4000+. Every 1000' adds .10 to our ET so a sea level pass might be a 11.50 if all was correct.
It's been running 12.0-12.15 in the heat,about 110 mph.
It's a 10:1 302 with TFS TW heads,TFS stg II cam,Perf RPM,650 DP,long tube 1 5/8 headers,C4 & 4000stall ******* converter,all in an '86 Mustang weighing 2600 with driver. 60' times are 1.60-1.65 using 26/10/15 ET Drags.We're spinning it 6500 or so.

Terry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts