Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the middle of redoing my engine compartment (along with the new engine) and am wondering if I even need to keep the proportioning valve and plumbing. I now have four wheel disc brakes so I'm not sure the valve is needed. Can it be removed?

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
802 Posts
A stock valve or aftermarket? Either way you want one plumbed for the rears so you can limit the pressure.

I got rid of my factory valve and just have a T for the front brakes then an adjustable valve for the rears.

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's an aftermarket valve. The prior ownewr had it installed when he added a Stainless Steel Brake Co. disc brakes to the front. I've since added a Currie disc kit to the rear and was wondering if the valve is still necessary and it sounds like it is.

My only issue is that who ever plumbed it in did a really crappy job on both the tube bending, routing and valve installation so I wanted to clean it up.

If I need to keep it, and it sounds like I do, does it matter where I mount it in relation to the brake master cylinder (below or above)?

I've messed with it before and can't tell the difference between "increase & decrease" so I thought it was just taking up wasted space.

Thanks,

John

·
Registered
736 Posts
You need to proportion pressure to the front and the rears, otherwise you will have large problems when you brake. 80% fronts and 20% rears

1 - 4 of 4 Posts