Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a proportioning valve in the way of the axle travel on my mini'. And I was thinking of converting it into a distribution block for the brake lines. Would it cause any adverse effects with my braking??

·
Registered
660 Posts
If you mean that you are going to take the proportioning valve out all together, yea, it'll mess up your brakes. You could replace it with a distribution block, but then just get an aftermarket proportioning valve to add somewhere else on the line feeding the rear brakes (assuming you have disc front drum rear).

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I recently notched the frame on my truck and the part of the frame that was cut out for axle clearence, was the home of the valve. I wouldn't have a problem relocating it, but there is a rod that runs from the valve to the axle.

·
Registered
679 Posts
On 2003-08-27 00:07, sinistertrucker wrote:
I recently notched the frame on my truck and the part of the frame that was cut out for axle clearence, was the home of the valve. I wouldn't have a problem relocating it, but there is a rod that runs from the valve to the axle.
This sounds an awfully lot like the anti-lock braking setup on my daughters 91 Taurus.
In my opinion take it off and replace it with an adjustable aftermarket proportioning valve. This brings up another question though...If this is the antilock device and you remove it and if you are ever in a wreck where it's your fault and the insurance determines the device has been removed, where does that put you from a liability standpoint? Does anyone have any experience or inside knowledge on this point?
Kywookie

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is a good point, one that I never thought of actually. But I decided to move it around and make it work. It ain't gonna look good, but it will work.

·
Registered
679 Posts
On 2003-08-27 16:58, sinistertrucker wrote:
That is a good point, one that I never thought of actually. But I decided to move it around and make it work. It ain't gonna look good, but it will work.
If it is an antilock device like the Taurus has, the geometry between the rear axle, the device, and adjustment of the rod is all critical to proper functioning. My daughter's Taurus was going through front pads every few months. I determined that the antilock valve was preventing the rear brakes from doing anything. I adjusted the rod by the book and now everything works well.
Kywookie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts